A buddy of mine used to live in that apartment building and trust me when I say it wasn't anything worth keeping around.

That being said, it's always unfortunate to lose cheap rentals, but as the saying goes, you can't build old apartment buildings. Although it's obviously preferable to build on a parking lot, at the end of the day the more units are built today, the more affordable housing we have in 30+ years.
One topic that never seems to come up in Calgary is the tradeoff for getting more people into the centre city is that as new builds replace old ones, lower income people are displaced and must find housing further out. Gentrification isn't really discussed in Calgary.

Last edited:
They're taking the old apartment building on the east side of this development on 15ave apart brick by brick. Is it a heritage façade or something? doesn't look like anything worth saving. If not, then someone wants the bricks I guess.
It's not but for the past little while I've been thinking that 40s and 50s 3 story walkups are something where suddenly they could all be gone.
Many are not particularly interesting but it would be good to catalog what's left to see if there are any gems worth taking a second look at.

One topic that never seems to come up in Calgary is the tradeoff for getting more people into the centre city is that as new builds replace old ones, lower income people are displaced and must find housing further out. Gentrification isn't really discussed in Calgary.
The unfortunate part is the loss of cheap housing stock. Because so many of these replacement buildings have been built only recently it's going to be 20-30 years before they become cheap housing stock. It's too bad the high-rise building trend didn't start 20 years earlier, we'd have a continual flow of housing that is aging into the cheap stock market.

The unfortunate part is the loss of cheap housing stock. Because so many of these replacement buildings have been built only recently it's going to be 20-30 years before they become cheap housing stock. It's too bad the high-rise building trend didn't start 20 years earlier, we'd have a continual flow of housing that is aging into the cheap stock market.
Another negative of the boom and bust cycle I suppose.

Average apartment turnover in Calgary is so high that I'd guess there aren't nearly many long tenured residents. Helps that the rental stock is pretty low to begin with.

In the end, recent research has shown that building which increases the number of units reduces displacement overall in a community, even if it is a direct cause of displacement itself.

This one goes to CPC this week.
Report, Background, Applicant Submission, DP drawings, UDRP Comments

I don't think there are any new renderings in the DP drawings, here is what they contains:
1655135531791.png

1655135550025.png

1655135572045.png

1655135592317.png

1655135675349.png

1655135706308.png

Can’t find anything to take issue with on this one. I like that there’s no podium and the tower comes down to the ground. Retaining the entire Red’s building is a huge plus. Tower looks simple and solid. The varied storefront on 4th St to feel like 3 buildings is excellent. Personally I’d change the colour of the north section to differentiate it even more than the setback from the middle portion. The patio space on the alley side is great. Already planning a mural on the west side. Can’t detect a single random rectangle.

Last edited:
Can’t find anything to take issue with on this one. I like that there’s no podium and the tower comes down to the ground. Retaining the entire Red’s building is a huge plus. Tower looks simple and solid. The varied storefront on 4th St to feel like 3 buildings is excellent. Personally I’d change the colour of the north section to differentiate it even more than the setback from the middle portion. The patio space on the alley side is a great. Already planning a mural on the west side. Can’t detect a single random rectangle.
Agreed! This one is solid. Any complaints would be nitpicking.

Can’t find anything to take issue with on this one. I like that there’s no podium and the tower comes down to the ground. Retaining the entire Red’s building is a huge plus. Tower looks simple and solid. The varied storefront on 4th St to feel like 3 buildings is excellent. Personally I’d change the colour of the north section to differentiate it even more than the setback from the middle portion. The patio space on the alley side is great. Already planning a mural on the west side. Can’t detect a single random rectangle.
I agree. Definitely a good addition to 4th.

Back