News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I don't know if this is a start of a trend or just a minor blip after the holidays.

Unemployment rose, but AB also saw a rise in jobs, so the increase is attributable to more people seeking jobs. This could be a product of more people moving to AB than leaving, people seeking jobs after taking a break over the holidays (as you mentioned), and, may even be a byproduct of more parents going back to work with the introduction of childcare subsidies. I also wonder how much of an impact inflation has had on the number of people going back to work (fewer families are able to live off of a single income).

Last edited:

GIP claims it will be the largest carbon-negative energy facility in North America, with a carbon intensity score of negative-20

It doesn't say how many permanent jobs would be created, but mentions 800 construction jobs.

It is estimated the privately-funded plant will pump $50 million in taxes annually back into city and create $150 million in direct revenue to rural wheat producers. It is expected to be fully operational in 2025 and will create 800 construction jobs during the two years it’s built.

create 800 construction jobs during the two years it’s built.
AKA further strain the already thinly stretched construction sector by another 800 jobs.

I wonder how long it will be before TFWs start to be brought into construction on a larger scale? We already hear about how 'young people don't want to be in the trades'. Between that and people retiring, I think it will be sooner than later.

And I mean it could actually work in a cycle. Bring workers in to build much needed housing (and other projects), give them a place to live in those buildings and pretty soon you've answered the question to two problems.

It's not as if coming to Canada to make a living wage using the skills you already have isn't better than dying on some project in Qatar.

I interpret this as a response to Trudeau's statement of 'I have not seen the business case' when asked about pipelines & LNG plants on the east coast. I wish business and government would get on the same page and sell this as a team, to Canadians and the rest of the world. Natural gas is a far more efficient and less harmful (to the environment) solution, than burning coal.

I interpret this as a response to Trudeau's statement of 'I have not seen the business case' when asked about pipelines & LNG plants on the east coast. I wish business and government would get on the same page and sell this as a team, to Canadians and the rest of the world. Natural gas is a far more efficient and less harmful (to the environment) solution, than burning coal.
There are two east coast export terminals with government approvals. It is business that is lagging on this one.

They're both connected to a pipeline and both have all the federal approvals they need to build liquefaction plants.
If that is true to then Trudeau's response to the question could have been somewhat thoughtful instead of 'I have not seen the business case' which caused 'face palms' everywhere.
Anyway, according to this map, there is no pipeline past Quebec City that is taking natural gas to the east coast. I gather that is what Energy East was intended for so we are still missing one pipeline and at least one LNG plant to realize any export opportunity to Europe

Figure 15. Major CER-Regulated Natural Gas Pipelines​

1677181320651.png

'I have not seen the business case'
The long quote:
"We are in a situation in the short-term, where we will do what we can to contribute to the global supply of energy by increasing our capacities… And explore ways to see if it makes sense to export LNG and if there's a business case for it, to export LNG directly to Europe.

"But in the medium-term and long-term, Canada can and will position itself to be a key supplier of energy to the world in a net-zero economy. And that means investments in hydrogen, it means more investments in critical minerals… it means investments in a range of solutions.

"Conversion plants are usually placed close to the sources of LNG. And, as we look at the possibility of LNG plants on the east coast, able to ship directly to Germany, we find ourselves a long way from the gas fields in western Canada. It's doable, we have infrastructure around that, but we're looking very much at how we can best help,"

Another one from the same trip:
"From the government standpoint, easing the processes—because of the difficulty that Germany is facing—to make sure that we can move through regulatory hurdles more quickly, is something we're willing to do," Trudeau said. "But there needs to be a business case. It needs to make sense for Germany."

I gather that is what Energy East was intended for so we are still missing one pipeline and at least one LNG plant to realize any export opportunity to Europe
Energy East was going to reduce gas capacity to east coast.

Right now Trans-Canada feeds into the USA NE from Quebec (and the capacity has been growing), and then the pipeline that feeds the maritimes draws from that same system.

The problem is the freeze spread between USA NE prices and europe prices. If you're going to be moving gas adjacent to the USA NE, why freeze it to make the profit? You can sell to the highest priced market in the world right there!

Three new series being filmed or filming soon in Calgary

Back