News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

They were growth of between 13 and 19,000 every five years for the last couple prior to Covid. I'll guess they're around 85,000 now.

I just discovered that that Alberta Municipal affairs has shifted to population estimates instead of census numbers

and the data tables are

and Alberta's 2022 population estimate for airdrie is 80222

get the XLS at:" https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/c45...us-subdivision-municipal-2016-to-current.xlsx

Last year BC still grew by more people than Alberta, but not by much. 116, 946 for BC vs 99,338 for Alberta. That said, Alberta continues the paces its on and if inter-provincial and international migration levels stayed roughly the same we could end up catching up at some point.
Alberta also has a younger median age, and BC has almost 400K more people over the ago of 65. If Alberta can sustain strong growth for 20 years, it could catch up.

Last year BC still grew by more people than Alberta, but not by much. 116, 946 for BC vs 99,338 for Alberta. That said, Alberta continues the paces its on and if inter-provincial and international migration levels stayed roughly the same we could end up catching up at some point.
Alberta also has a younger median age, and BC has almost 400K more people over the ago of 65. If Alberta can sustain strong growth for 20 years, it could catch up.
We also have a higher fertility rate. BC is the lowest in the country. I know immigration is the biggest driver of growth today, but the higher rate will keep us younger and add a buffer

We also have a higher fertility rate. BC is the lowest in the country. I know immigration is the biggest driver of growth today, but the higher rate will keep us younger and add a buffer
That and I firmly believe immigration patterns to Canadian cities are going to change, and actually have already been changing. It used to be immigrants arrived to one of the big 3 cities, mostly Toronto and Vancouver, and some then slowly filtered to other parts of the country. Immigrants are now going directly to a number of cities, and as the immigrant communities build in cities like Calgary, it will attract even more immigrants as friends and family will join those immigrants already in places like Calgary. It would be interesting to have a crystal ball and be able to see immigration numbers in 10 years, or even 7 years in 2030.
I know it's only anecdotal evidence, but almost every recent immigrant I've spoken with recently who lives in Toronto or Vancouver is exploring options for other cities. how many actually make the move out of those cities is hard to say, and time will tell, but the fact the fact they're looking into it, is a sign of change.

On the subject of the SHAW/Rogers thing... Can someone explain how the Shaw Mobile and Freedom Mobile networks are at all different?

1680284773307.png

1680284780457.png

They're the same, yet on the Rogers release they say:
Rogers today reaffirmed the company’s merger commitments, including:
  • Honouring a five-year price commitment for Shaw Mobile customers
So Shaw Mobile is Rogers' but Freedom is Videotron, how? Or perhaps Shaw Mobile customers (me) will be moved over to Rogers?

Once you look at BC in terms of it's topography and climatology (which are the same thing in many cases) maps you realize it doesn't have a lot of developable land in the areas that are most desirable. It's a series of valleys that all put together probably would be larger than PEI but not much.

This isn't even factoring in agricultural land protection and general environmental NIMBYism.

BC is going to have to go full tower mode if it wants to keep growing at a decent pace into the future.

Back