Votes: 29 30.9%
  • So So

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Terrible

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
In my mind, the only absolute MUST BE HERE location for a farmers market in downtown is the Mewata Armoury. A classic, beautiful building, and could have a patio spill out of it on the west side on the existing stage, where people could eat/congregate, overlooking the horrendously underutilized Shaw Millenium Park. It might even spur the city into putting some actual maintenance dollars into that park!

In my mind, the only absolute MUST BE HERE location for a farmers market in downtown is the Mewata Armoury. A classic, beautiful building, and could have a patio spill out of it on the west side on the existing stage, where people could eat/congregate, overlooking the horrendously underutilized Shaw Millenium Park. It might even spur the city into putting some actual maintenance dollars into that park!
^^^Yeah, make that happen!^^^

Wonderful idea. I think the primary reason Millennium is so underutilized is because its surrounded on all but one side by the West LRT tracks, and the highway of 9th Ave:
1637261682339.png

They've done what they can to open it up with pedestrian walkways underneath, the skate park, and basketball court. But you can't pave an entire district with concrete and bridges, hurl vehicles through at high speed, and expect anyone to go out of their way to be there.

You can see the priorities of the area from the old West Village ARP:
1637261884029.png

Think about it. We've funded (lost) hundreds of millions of dollars building this road connection, that saves ~5 minutes of travel time, at the expense of easily >$5B in developable riverfront land. I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but I wanna hear the pitch of whoever sold that idea.

Wonderful idea. I think the primary reason Millennium is so underutilized is because its surrounded on all but one side by the West LRT tracks, and the highway of 9th Ave:
View attachment 363803
They've done what they can to open it up with pedestrian walkways underneath, the skate park, and basketball court. But you can't pave an entire district with concrete and bridges, hurl vehicles through at high speed, and expect anyone to go out of their way to be there.

You can see the priorities of the area from the old West Village ARP:
View attachment 363805
Think about it. We've funded (lost) hundreds of millions of dollars building this road connection, that saves ~5 minutes of travel time, at the expense of easily >$5B in developable riverfront land. I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but I wanna hear the pitch of whoever sold that idea.
Much of that land is contaminated, hence the land use for car lots and roads. The west side of DT used to a be a wood preservatives plant.

I'm down with the Armory. It's too bad the city couldn't buy it with some of money used for revitalizing downtown. It would do a lot towards adding vibrancy.

Much of that land is contaminated, hence the land use for car lots and roads. The west side of DT used to a be a wood preservatives plant.
Yep, and once they have decided on redevelopment actually happening, it will take a decade before they decide who pays for it and even start the remediation work. West Village is a project for the late 2030's in my mind.

West Village is a project for the late 2030's in my mind.
Honestly I'm totally okay with that. Calgary has too many half finished master plans anyhow. Plus it's probably a good thing to have future development opportunities in the inner city for decades to come. Let's wrap up the east side before starting the west end.

Back