4.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 10K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 2.1K     0 

CBBarnett

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does it extend through the intersection?
Nope. Relatedly, it's the biggest part missing from most of our cycling/pathways/sidewalk infrastructure - transitions are usually really poor when switching between on-street and off-street. This scope of these poor transitions is immeasuably large and widespread throughout the city, from most of our hundreds of thousands of curb-cuts, sloped sidewalks for driveways, wide sweeping curves for right turns etc.

Many of the individually small gaps collectively make walking or cycling harder and more dangerous than necessary while giving drivers a slight edge they likely never notice. Here's the intersection of 9th Avenue and 4th Street SE (yellow = curb ramps, green = bicycle travel paths). While hardly the worst designed intersection in the city - each direction requires a cyclist to do a weird jog left into the driving lane, or right into the sidewalk to get on and off the 4th Street underpass lanes. The eastside one has the paint across the intersection, however you can see it edges right into the driving lane creating a weird conflict. The more direct lines require careful zig because the hand railings starts right there for the underpass and is another barrier.

1632589259315.png

Small details matter. If the median was reduced and the driver lanes were tightened by a metre or two, cyclists and pedestrians could easily have a straight connection that is safe and conflict free. Yes this would mean more effort on the drivers to slightly turn their steering wheel but the benefit is everyone else gets what they need.

Why does this happen?
My best guess is that whoever designs the bike lanes knows all this, but doesn't have authority over whoever designs the curbs and lane widths. Some trade-off occurred during design and like usual, the relatively minor in scale but technically precise requirements of the bicycle lost out to generic curb cut and turn radius logic of entrenched road planning processes.

Disraeli

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was more referring to the intersection at 11th. It has you on the side walk, then you enter the intersection with no markings or guides, then you bike in mixed traffic by the mess of lay-bys along the Arriva podium, before 'transitioning' to the 12th street cycle track.
Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 4.14.32 PM.png

Why does this happen?
My best guess is that whoever designs the bike lanes knows all this, but doesn't have authority over whoever designs the curbs and lane widths.
And money! This crap occurs because the city is trying to build an extensive cycle track network in a short period of time without the capital needed to put in a consistent network that flows logically and is well integrated.

Chealion

Member Bio
Reaction score
The 12th Ave cycle track extension in Sunalta will hopefully be done by the end of the month. 12th Ave and 19th Street have been repaved, so still waiting for - paint, flexiposts on curbs, and the pathway for the turn from 19th St to 12th Ave.

ByeByeBaby

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
Here's a couple of bouquets and brickbats to the City's pathway team regarding closures and detours:

Bouquet -- there are temporary pathways for some longer-term works; the Eau Claire bridge in particular. There's new asphalt in Sien Lok Park, and then a real cycle detour continuing on Riverfront Avenue -- last year, this was signed as a cycle detour during the summer (to get cyclists out of the Eau Claire area for more distancing) but it was de facto a parking lane; this year, there are rubber curbs and plastic posts. Even more interesting is this on Prince's Island:
PXL_20210914_224927184.MP~2.jpg

A temporary multi-use pathway on the grass. It could be wider, but slowing everybody down here is probably a good thing.

Brickbats:
The first is the detour at the 5th St underpass; this photo is from a few days ago, but the signage has been the same for a month:
PXL_20210914_225930295~3.jpg

Cyclists are told to ride on the sidewalk, even though there is a cycle lane detour taking up a street lane. The first time I rode through here and saw this sign was before the Labour Day long weekend; the east sidewalk I was sent to was fenced in! I was literally so confused, I got off my bike, walked it across the street, realized that was the west sidewalk, saw the on-road cycling detour, walked back across. It was baffling. It's been there for a month, wrong continuously, and still it sits.

Also brickbat:
The online pathway map showing closures. It's a good idea; there's lots of closures and temporary work, and it's good to show people where they are. But looking at the site, it's amazing; you can see the past, present and future all at the same time. The pathway through the Elbow Camp on the Stampede grounds is shown as closed -- that was for an event in August. The pathway under Macleod to the Stampede is closed - that was for LRT construction that ended over a week ago. The pathways are closed under the 5th St flyover, across the Jaipur Bridge, 9A St for Bow to Bluff, 9th Ave to Inglewood -- sure, those are all actual pathway closures. Meanwhile, there's a cycle track shown along 12th Ave all the way to the CP rail at 19 St SW -- not today, as Chealion posted above; the area is under construction and cycling isn't allowed through there but no sign of that. Same thing (I think) on 3rd Ave S -- it's scheduled for construction until October, but it shows as an unimpeded cycle track today.
The two worst parts are that 1) looking at a closure to see if it's in the past or future requires clicking on a tiny logo -- it works okay on my computer, but on my phone (you know, the thing I have with me on my bike) I need to click the exact right pixel to get the detour info to pop up. and 2). the closures that are in the past have dates on the website showing they are in the past; surely the cumulative computing horsepower of the City of Calgary is capable of working out the difficult calculus of whether a detour from September 7th to September 16th is in effect or not on September 25.

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
Nice to see that they have finally painted the lanes on the 4 St SE underpass. Not that it makes much of a difference when it comes to people walking in the lane, but definitely easier to see now!View attachment 351244
yeah my company did that! Was a nice surprise to see our guys doing that when I was going for lunch a few days ago.

Col du Edworthy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Nice to see that they have finally painted the lanes on the 4 St SE underpass. Not that it makes much of a difference when it comes to people walking in the lane, but definitely easier to see now!
I biked to the Flames game last night and use 4 St (for the record there were 9 bikes locked up at the dome which somehow felt like progress lol [no bike racks but I won't go there]). The green paint actually made a difference for me, having done this in the past I found people wandered into the bike lane far more often before. Plus I feel far less guilty about ringing my bell when it's a least somewhat clear there is a bike lane now (literally used to apologize to people as I squeezed by "Sorry I'm in a bike lane that looks, feels and functions like a sidewalk so can't blame you")

Last edited:

Disraeli

Member Bio
Reaction score
Oh never feel guilty about leaning on the bell! I blast it every time I pass a ped, even if I have space. The last thing you want is some dreamer stepping into you

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
Tried the new section of the 12th Ave cycle track yesterday. Nice having it go to the far west end. Hopefully it’ll have a decent connection over to the river path someday. They were doing some construction right under the Crowchild Trail bridge, I’m not sure if that’s part of the bike path or not.

FDFEC4EB-BE0A-423E-A699-8CCF0C6F2E61.jpeg

Joborule

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
Tried the new section of the 12th Ave cycle track yesterday. Nice having it go to the far west end. Hopefully it’ll have a decent connection over to the river path someday. They were doing some construction right under the Crowchild Trail bridge, I’m not sure if that’s part of the bike path or not.

View attachment 354934
If you're referring to the Bow Trail bridges right by Central Bark, then it kind of is. No rail crossing improvements, but they paved a more defined pathway up to it from 10th Ave.

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
If you're referring to the Bow Trail bridges right by Central Bark, then it kind of is. No rail crossing improvements, but they paved a more defined pathway up to it from 10th Ave.
Yep, that's the spot. I was thinking Crowchild, but meant Bow Trail. Too bad they aren't improving the crossing at the tracks, but maybe it'll happen someday.

ahuch

Member Bio
Reaction score
I biked to the Flames game last night and use 4 St (for the record there were 9 bikes locked up at the dome which somehow felt like progress lol [no bike racks but I won't go there]). The green paint actually made a difference for me, having done this in the past I found people wandered into the bike lane far more often before. Plus I feel far less guilty about ringing my bell when it's a least somewhat clear there is a bike lane now (literally used to apologize to people as I squeezed by "Sorry I'm in a bike lane that looks, feels and functions like a sidewalk so can't blame you")

I actually think that's an important piece of the conversation that's missing today. Even in spots where we are starting to have some decent cycling infrastructure, there is a serious lack of options for parking your bike... even more-so a lack of any sort of secure bike parking. I live in the burbs, and although it'd be just as quick to bike as it is to take transit down to somewhere like Inglewood for dinner and a few drinks the main thing stopping us is actually not wanting our bikes stolen as opposed to lack of cycling infrastructure. Kind of a shame.

Chealion

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yep, that's the spot. I was thinking Crowchild, but meant Bow Trail. Too bad they aren't improving the crossing at the tracks, but maybe it'll happen someday.
FWIW, it is something the community has been advocated to see get addressed as part of the Pumphouse Park improvements since it was not included in this project.

The extension is also officially open per the City as of today.

ByeByeBaby

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
I actually think that's an important piece of the conversation that's missing today. Even in spots where we are starting to have some decent cycling infrastructure, there is a serious lack of options for parking your bike... even more-so a lack of any sort of secure bike parking. I live in the burbs, and although it'd be just as quick to bike as it is to take transit down to somewhere like Inglewood for dinner and a few drinks the main thing stopping us is actually not wanting our bikes stolen as opposed to lack of cycling infrastructure. Kind of a shame.
I couldn't agree more; the city's done an alright job of getting employers to provide bike parking for workers, and there's a reasonable number of bike racks around, but there could be more. The model I think would work best is a random-access secured facility; basically a bike cage connected to a smart card reader (and a camera system). It doesn't need to be crazy expensive; it doesn't need to be weather-protected, just a fence with some bike racks inside. Vancouver has them at about a dozen SkyTrain stations; you can access them with a transit card that's enrolled in the bike parking system and they cost $1 a use. The good thing about this sort of system is that there's a high level of protection (smart cards identify who's going in) but it can be used by people who don't want to sign up for commuter-oriented bike parking; this could be people visiting for dining or entertainment, or whatever -- at the start of the summer, I had to bike into my office for one day, and I wound up signing up for a month's parking in my building because that was the cheapest option available.

The worst is the lack of bike parking with agencies that should know better -- I've recently had bike parking issues at the Foothills Hospital and Sheldon Chumir; how can a health authority not be a leader in this space?

Back of the envelope, my guess is something like 50-100K would convert 5 to 10 parking stalls into 60-120 secure bike parking spots (assuming mostly high density racks). The three key locations that would benefit from these are transit hubs, dense activity areas and performance venues. I'm thinking a dozen as a start: Dalhousie, Rundle, Sunnyside, Sirocco and Shawnessy LRT stations; East Village, Inglewood, Century Park, Sheldon Chumir, the Dome, the Jube and Olympic Plaza.

And I know this sort of system even works in Calgary, because City staff have had a smart-card operated bike cage for like 15 years now (look to the right when going into the municipal building from the plaza, by the Centre St lion sculpture).