News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I guess they would continue both directions of the cycle track on the east side of 5th. It’s not ideal but would better than it is now. With there already being parking only on the west side of 5th it might makes the best sense,
How would they deal with the shift from one-way to two-way?

I too thought they would be a fad, but they are still as popular as ever. I finally rode one a couple of weeks ago, and I have to admit, they are a lot of fun. I wouldn't be surprised if they became even more popular.
Personally, I think the scooters will be a fad. They won’t disappear completely but you won’t see as many of them on the streets as you do today. And the people who will remain writing them will get better at writing them I don’t think it’ll be a problem having them on the paths with bikes and pedestrians, and if I’m being honest here, there are also a number of bad cyclists out there. Ultimately as time goes on all users of the pathways will get better educated about sharing them.

I too thought they would be a fad, but they are still as popular as ever. I finally rode one a couple of weeks ago, and I have to admit, they are a lot of fun. I wouldn't be surprised if they became even more popular.
I also thought they would be fad, but no longer. I do think the current model is a bit of a fad - operate an an enormous loss, subsidizing each ride through venture capital dollars - but that isn't the same as saying scooters will go away. The companies will consolidate and the business model will eventually stabilize, all the while private ownership of electric mobility devices will continue to increase (e-bikes as well) and overall tech and affordability improves. Scooters (and related e-mobility devices) provide such an leap in capabilities of those not inclined to "exercise" while travelling (loaded term of course, because it's a perception: you don't need to break a sweat to travel on foot or bicycle). They are a great solution of the "last mile problem" that forces multi-modal people to have a long walk, wait for a circuitous bus or hop in an expensive urber/taxi.

I am a super fan of cycling and walking urbanism in all environments, but the reality is that most people make transportation choices on the perception of getting around easier. We will continue to see changes as a result of better planning (putting stuff close enough together you can easily go there), better infrastructure (bicycle lanes, pathways, sidewalks), and through better technology (bicycles, scooters, transit apps). Scooters are a great solution for the third part for many people/situations.

I completely agree. They could at least patch the holes on that road if they don't extend it!
It's crappy riding along that route with all the potholes and the proximity of vehicles. The reason I asked about the extension was because the last time riding down that stretch I had different two vehicles i the span of 5 minutes comes with a foot or less of hitting my handle bar.
I can see why that guy started a petition least year.

I also thought they would be fad, but no longer. I do think the current model is a bit of a fad - operate an an enormous loss, subsidizing each ride through venture capital dollars - but that isn't the same as saying scooters will go away. The companies will consolidate and the business model will eventually stabilize, all the while private ownership of electric mobility devices will continue to increase (e-bikes as well) and overall tech and affordability improves. Scooters (and related e-mobility devices) provide such an leap in capabilities of those not inclined to "exercise" while travelling (loaded term of course, because it's a perception: you don't need to break a sweat to travel on foot or bicycle). They are a great solution of the "last mile problem" that forces multi-modal people to have a long walk, wait for a circuitous bus or hop in an expensive urber/taxi.

I am a super fan of cycling and walking urbanism in all environments, but the reality is that most people make transportation choices on the perception of getting around easier. We will continue to see changes as a result of better planning (putting stuff close enough together you can easily go there), better infrastructure (bicycle lanes, pathways, sidewalks), and through better technology (bicycles, scooters, transit apps). Scooters are a great solution for the third part for many people/situations.
I work with a guy who bought one and is using it as his mode of transportation for his commute - a 4km trip one way. Personally with a commute that short of I'd cycle it, but I can see the appeal. Far cheaper and easier than driving, and he keeps the scooter in his office.

I think they will be a 'fad' in the sense that there will be a ramp up in popularity to some unsustainable peak, and then they will decline in popularity but become a permanent part of the landscape. See in-line skates, mountain bikes, etc.

The shared scooters will probably be around for a few years, then one or two of the companies will stop. I think personal transportation devices like Escooters, One Wheels, Hoverboards, Eskateboards.... are the future and cities better start planning for them now.

I'm actually looking forward to winter so all the Escooters are gone and the crowds get off the pathways, great to see everyone out, but get out of my damn way! lol

The city has been pretty good on their social media trying to get people to contact both the companies (Lime, Bird, etc) and 311 if dumbasses leave their scooters in stupid spots. If you get a photo of both the scooter location and its bar code and send it to the company, they will suspend their account.

End of October this year (it was end of September last year). While on the subject, the City is looking for public comment on the scooter pilot here.

Back