News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I can't stand when I'm taking Aurora for a walk and some random dips hit has his dog off leash in the middle of a non-off-leash area… like a kilometre or so from the nearest off-leash park. Like, do dumbasses not understand that not every dog is capable of that level of self control? Keep your damn dog away from mine, by keeping it under control… per the law. #endrant

Has anyone here biked the Barley Belt? Just wondering if there's a good pathway from going from Inglewood to Manchester area?

Me and some friends from out of town are looking to bike over to Inglewood and have a pint or two, and then bike over to Manchester area..maybe hit up some BBQ at Paddy's and have another pint or two. The maps I've seen on the internet, aren't great.

Not really but if you wanted to avoid the roundabout at Dartmouth and 26th, I'd do the following: take the bike lane south from Inglewood on 11th and after passing Dandy Brewing take 21st Ave into Ramsey and follow Spiller Road past the graveyards and that will dump you out at Paddy's. You still have to cross 25th though.

Has anyone here biked the Barley Belt? Just wondering if there's a good pathway from going from Inglewood to Manchester area?

Me and some friends from out of town are looking to bike over to Inglewood and have a pint or two, and then bike over to Manchester area..maybe hit up some BBQ at Paddy's and have another pint or two. The maps I've seen on the internet, aren't great.
I'm back in Calgary for a few weeks. Biked the new path under construction through the Barley Belt. When done, it will basically connect 39th Ave Station to the future Highfield Station.

Wouldn't 8th St to Spilller Road be the obvious route from Inglewood? Rarely much traffic along there.

The new pathway along the west side of the Bow from the Bonnybrook Wastewater plant to Graves Landing looks like it could open soon

I had looked at the map earlier and it seemed like Spiller was the way to go for getting over to the area by Paddy's. Some friends had just done it a week ago, and mentioned going along Backfoot Trail.....but couldn't remember the exact streets.

I just ride the new pathway along 42nd Ave to 11st, and I really enjoyed the smoothness of the paths. Nice and wide. I checked before I went to see if it was open and 90% of the route was, except for the end near the food bank where there's a drain pipe across the path. Overall it's nice to have this in the area. Can't wait until they clean up the soil that was washed out from the rain yesterday.. not good for skinny tires in the rain!

I just ride the new pathway along 42nd Ave to 11st, and I really enjoyed the smoothness of the paths. Nice and wide. I checked before I went to see if it was open and 90% of the route was, except for the end near the food bank where there's a drain pipe across the path. Overall it's nice to have this in the area. Can't wait until they clean up the soil that was washed out from the rain yesterday.. not good for skinny tires in the rain!
Nice! So happy that passed council in 2018. It was a close vote!

Still kind of a strange priority as I can't envision much bike traffic along there. Maybe when Highfield station opens on the Green Line. It also needs to connect to the Bow River pathway from its east end. Unsure what would be a suitable route, roughly following Ogden Road. Maybe a pathway following the Green Line?

Biked it several times - beyond the 42nd Ave pathway there isn't much bicycle infrastructure. Luckily there's next to zero traffic on a weekend or evening (except for 42nd Ave, very glad there's a path). Roads are near empty with good site lines so easy to cut around the work yards on Darthmouth Road between Ramsay and Manchester - very stress free by bike.

Prior to the pandemic, Manchester had developed a weird chill party vibe because there's no one around on a Saturday except people bicycling between Inglewood, Paddy's/Banded Peak/Born Colorado/Cabin Brewery cluster and Annex / Establishment node further south. Perfect for bicycling as each cluster is less than 10 minutes from the others. Definitely a neat story emerging the past decade of old, obsolete industrial park getting an strange new lease on life through breweries and minigolf / games places.

The cluster farthest to the east gets the least bicycle traffic (Village/OT/Legends 7), largely due to the lack of a pathway on 42 Ave and the hill. It's probably a reasonable easy ride now, but we always skipped it because of how dangerous 42 is for anyone not inside a multi-ton truck.

Worth checking out by bicycle - but don't rely on their Barley Belt branded maps as not all breweries participate I don't think so you won't get the full picture.

Last edited:
Biked it several times - beyond the 42nd Ave pathway there isn't much bicycle infrastructure. Luckily there's next to zero traffic on a weekend or evening (except for 42nd Ave, very glad there's a path). Roads are near empty with good site lines so easy to cut around the work yards on Darthmouth Road between Ramsay and Manchester - very stress free by bike.

Prior to the pandemic, Manchester had developed a weird chill party vibe because there's no one around on a Saturday except people bicycling between Inglewood, Paddy's/Banded Peak/Born Colorado/Cabin Brewery cluster and Annex / Establishment node further south. Perfect for bicycling as each cluster is less than 10 minutes from the others. Definitely a neat story emerging the past decade of old, obsolete industrial park getting an strange new lease on life through breweries and minigolf / games places.

The cluster farthest to the east gets the least bicycle traffic (Village/OT/Legends 7), largely due to the lack of a pathway on 42 Ave and the hill. It's probably a reasonable easy ride now, but we always skipped it because of how dangerous 42 is for anyone not inside a multi-ton truck.

Worth checking out by bicycle - but don't rely on their Barley Belt branded maps as not all breweries participate I don't think so you won't get the full picture.
Thanks!

Agree about the Barley Belt maps. I checked them out first, and it was more confusing than anything.

In the end we just stuck to Inglewood. A couple of the people on the trip don't cycle much and the trip from Confederation Park to Inglewood was enough cycling. Next time though, I'll take 8th and Spiller Road, and check out the places in Manchester.

On a side note, went cycling around all around the core with my out of town visitors... a couple of them who haven't lived in Calgary for 10 years were really impressed by the progress of Calgary's cycling paths and tracks, and impressed with the changes in general for Calgary. One of them from Vancouver made the comment "so many cool things happening in Calgary, I'm seriously thinking I should move back"

We've been on a good roll, just need to keep the pedal to metal.

I hear that from every single visitor I show around the city as well. Especially enthusiastically acclaimed by Edmontonians and Ontarians specifically.

On a side note, went cycling around all around the core with my out of town visitors... a couple of them who haven't lived in Calgary for 10 years were really impressed by the progress of Calgary's cycling paths and tracks, and impressed with the changes in general for Calgary. One of them from Vancouver made the comment "so many cool things happening in Calgary, I'm seriously thinking I should move back"

We've been on a good roll, just need to keep the pedal to metal.
That perception is somewhat strange as the big expansion in the pathway network mostly occurred in the 1990's. Cycling is more popular now

Back