News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I hate that we see a bike lane up 14th seems like a pipe dream to us, as it just makes so much sense.

34 Avenue to 14th, 14th connecting at 12 Ave cycle track and Bow River pathway… now you have a significant section of the SW connected to the network.

That would be nice. Though when I'm driving, I have used it a few times due to its handiness.
It would be nice to have another connection between downtown and the river pathway on the north side of the river. That bridge is set up perfectly to drive on currently though, and I definitely drive on it more than I would cycle...

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on the proposals. I can't imagine too many people on this forum would prefer the Bike Boulevard Option, but interested what everyone thinks about the Multi-Use Path Option vs. the One Way Cycle Track Option. I think my preference is the Multi-Use Path Option, but imagine cyclists would prefer to limit interactions with pedestrians.
I like the somewhat wider sidewalks and lots of bump-outs in all the options, the MUP is probably the best for most users. However, if they don't add stop signs or traffic controls at most of the intersections I would expect most bicycles to take the road, particularly on the downhill from Marda Loop towards 14th Street. If cars are still able to bomb down 34th even after all this redesign, the cyclists will as well. Add in the dog-heavy population of Marda Loop and that MUP is full before a cyclist even tries it.

This goes to the main problem with most MUPs is they aren't really transportation in the way we design them, particularly at the intersections. In a problem as old as the city's pathway system itself, when making trade-offs between roads and pathways, Calgary almost always deals with this trade-off by meeting the requirements of the vehicles and not the pathway users.

Every intersection has a random slope and ramp resulting in bumpy and inconsistent rides for cyclists, often through slush or puddles given the slop and drainage profiles. Lots of dangerous car v. bicycle right-hooks are inevitable as a result of this design - bicycles approach intersections faster than pedestrians but have the right of way so drivers won't see them, especially if there's no stop signs reducing drivers incentive to take right-turns at speed. Confusion results and people will get hit.

The solution to all this is a cycletrack - where the cycling facility is part of the roadway and highly visible with the same stop-signs and controls as adjacent cars. Far more predictable and safe environment for all users and keeps space for the pedestrians and dog walkers. The ideal scenario would be expanded sidewalks but take one parking lane for a consistent 2-way cycletrack.

Another option is a raised sidewalk approach, where the crosswalk is elevated so pedestrians/cyclists don't get caught in as many dangerous problems. To do this, you'd raise every crosswalk along the corridor and across 34th, acting as giant speed bumps for cars while raising the visibility for drivers of all the things that cars are good at killing and maiming. Cyclists get a seamless route for the whole corridor as well that's much safer and far smoother.

I'd like them to eliminate the traffic and parking in the righthand southbound lane on 14th St SW between 17th Ave SW and Riverview Park (38th Ave SW), and replace it with a two-way cycle track. Much of this section of 17th Ave has parking/stopping restrictions during the weekday rush hour already, which people do not always follow, so there is already disruptions to traffic as people have to change lanes to avoid parked vehicles. I actually think eliminating the lane/parking and replacing it with a two-way cycle track would improve traffic flow, because it would eliminate lane changes/merges, and the remaining lane could probably be widened a bit, as the two-way cycle track probably wouldn't need to be the full width of the lane, although maybe it would if it was protected (which would be the preferred option). I also think this could improve southbound traffic at the 14th St SW & 17th Ave SW intersection, as the righthand lane would be right turns only, and the centre lane would be through traffic only.

Eliminating traffic/parking in the righthand northbound lane on 14th St SW would also be a good option, and perhaps a better option since there are fewer laneway entrances where cars would cross the cycle track (there are a number of businesses on the west side of 14th Street SW). I just thought the southbound lane would be a better option because it would eliminate the need for cyclists to cross 14th St SW at 34 Ave SW.

I think the challenge would be determining where cyclists go once you get to 17th St SW.
This would be brilliant. Especially because of our strange zoning, the eastern most lane for the whole stretch just fronts onto mansions with off-street parking and no businesses. That parking lane is unneeded.

Jaipur Bridge:
20211202_104141.jpg

I'd like them to eliminate the traffic and parking in the righthand southbound lane on 14th St SW between 17th Ave SW and Riverview Park (38th Ave SW), and replace it with a two-way cycle track. Much of this section of 17th Ave has parking/stopping restrictions during the weekday rush hour already, which people do not always follow, so there is already disruptions to traffic as people have to change lanes to avoid parked vehicles. I actually think eliminating the lane/parking and replacing it with a two-way cycle track would improve traffic flow, because it would eliminate lane changes/merges, and the remaining lane could probably be widened a bit, as the two-way cycle track probably wouldn't need to be the full width of the lane, although maybe it would if it was protected (which would be the preferred option). I also think this could improve southbound traffic at the 14th St SW & 17th Ave SW intersection, as the righthand lane would be right turns only, and the centre lane would be through traffic only.

Eliminating traffic/parking in the righthand northbound lane on 14th St SW would also be a good option, and perhaps a better option since there are fewer laneway entrances where cars would cross the cycle track (there are a number of businesses on the west side of 14th Street SW). I just thought the southbound lane would be a better option because it would eliminate the need for cyclists to cross 14th St SW at 34 Ave SW.

I think the challenge would be determining where cyclists go once you get to 17th St SW.
I like this proposal. A cycle track should be built there, and parking on the east side of the road is completely unnecessary. I would be in favour of getting parking off the road completely, and make it a three lane road where the middle lane is used as a turning lane.

I love the idea of a bike lane/cycle track down 14th st SW. That'd be fantastic. When I lived up in that area I always wished they had a nice direct way to get downtown.

This would be great to see materialize:
University Drive is (and is planned to remain) one of the most over-built vehicular roads in the NW, perfect place to reallocated space for a solid bicycle network segment connecting a bunch of destinations.

University Drive is (and is planned to remain) one of the most over-built vehicular roads in the NW, perfect place to reallocated space for a solid bicycle network segment connecting a bunch of destinations.
I've long imagined a scheme where University Drive is disconnected from Crowchild and repurposed as a landscaped boulevard to provde a grand entrance to U of C. 24th and 32nd Avenues would become the vehicular entrances to U of C. McMahon, Foothills Stadium, the ramps to 16th Ave etc. would be removed, University Drive shifted to the east and lined on both sides by low rise residential and commercial buildings.

I just cut through Mount Royal, its a lovely ride. But a connection from Crowchild to 14th is desperately needed
Mount Royal is the much nicer option (or Scarboro further west). I don't hate the idea of 14th St, but I wouldn't want to use it myself. Still lots of traffic and quite steep. Coming downhill there is hardly any runout so you're slamming on brakes at 17ave.

8 St is a more moderate grade and links up to good options to the south and west. 8 st is actually a 5 lane road through the beltline, so it should easily accommodate a dedicated cycletrack. While it may seem a little close to 5st, it's 3 long blocks and actually 500m.

The southern terminus of the 7 St cycletrack is terrible. Trying to continue further south (or west or southwest for that matter) is an absolute mess...the 8Ave lanes kinda fizzle out at their west end, too.

Mount Royal is the much nicer option (or Scarboro further west). I don't hate the idea of 14th St, but I wouldn't want to use it myself. Still lots of traffic and quite steep. Coming downhill there is hardly any runout so you're slamming on brakes at 17ave.

8 St is a more moderate grade and links up to good options to the south and west. 8 st is actually a 5 lane road through the beltline, so it should easily accommodate a dedicated cycletrack. While it may seem a little close to 5st, it's 3 long blocks and actually 500m.

The southern terminus of the 7 St cycletrack is terrible. Trying to continue further south (or west or southwest for that matter) is an absolute mess...the 8Ave lanes kinda fizzle out at their west end, too.
When i say a connection is needed from Crowchild to 14th, i dont mean that 14th would be used as a bike route. Just that theres needs to be some kind of bike infrastructure that connects the bike lane on 26th ave (west of Crowchild) to Mt Royal. I also use 8th st to connect to downtown

When i say a connection is needed from Crowchild to 14th, i dont mean that 14th would be used as a bike route. Just that theres needs to be some kind of bike infrastructure that connects the bike lane on 26th ave (west of Crowchild) to Mt Royal. I also use 8th st to connect to downtown
I think the best answer might be to make 25 Ave the main bikeway between 14th and 20th streets (instead of 26th). The bike-only passage between 14-14a streets already kills most of the vehicle traffic. Just need to swap the stop signs at 17a street and set a 30kph limit for the whole stretch. The T intersection at 20th St is already in a playground zone with a speed bump between 25 and 26 ave.

Maybe you can kill street parking on the north side of 26 ave between 20th and 22nd streets to facilitate fully painted bike lanes, which would make it continuous all the way to 37 st.

I'll have to ride it to be sure, but on street view the grades on 25th seem gentler than 26th, too.

I think the best answer might be to make 25 Ave the main bikeway between 14th and 20th streets (instead of 26th). The bike-only passage between 14-14a streets already kills most of the vehicle traffic. Just need to swap the stop signs at 17a street and set a 30kph limit for the whole stretch. The T intersection at 20th St is already in a playground zone with a speed bump between 25 and 26 ave.

Maybe you can kill street parking on the north side of 26 ave between 20th and 22nd streets to facilitate fully painted bike lanes, which would make it continuous all the way to 37 st.

I'll have to ride it to be sure, but on street view the grades on 25th seem gentler than 26th, too.
25th would probably work well as there is already the pedestrian crossing across 14th. The tricky part is connecting on the east end. Maybe carry the existing 26ave lanes to 20th street then jog it over to 25 ave

Back