Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Today WCDT unveiled plans for their central p[ark development at University District. To be located just east of Rhapsody on University Avenue. The park will include a couple of retail buildings, that will include theaters and other retail. Some of the retailers include:

Info from WCDT
The three-acre central park will be the heart of University District and a four-season gathering place for social events, activities and everyday life. University District’s Central Park will feature a winter skating rink with a cooling system, a staging area for concerts, picnic area with tables
and BBQ pits, a water fountain feature, interactive play feature for all ages, patio space, public washroom and showers for bike commuters, public plaza and underground parking. For the
sake of comparison, University District’s Central Park will be roughly the same size as Calgary’s Shaw Millennium Park.

West Campus Development Trust also revealed that Staples, Pet Planet and Clever Daycare
will be joining University District as retailers.
There are currently more than 1,000 residential units under construction in University District, with a variety of retailers slated to open in the summer of 2020, including Save-On-Foods, Analog Coffee, Freshii, Scotiabank, Pet Planet, Curious Hair Skin Body, Denim & SmithBarbershops, Press’d Sandwich Shop and Market Wines.

Later in 2020, OEB Breakfast Co., YYC Cycle, Orangetheory, University District Dental, Five Guys and UC Noodles & BBQ will be open for business. Cineplex VIP Cinemas and Clever Daycare are scheduled to open in 2021.

00--park.jpg
W-1I54tg.jpeg
q9w7zMCQ.jpeg
tMKOrKag.jpeg

I remember hearing about a central park, but was expecting an empty field with a few trees. I had no idea they were planning something like this.

There's already a 15 storey hotel under construction in University District, so yes.

They are really nailing the tenant mix - it’s very impressive who they’ve been able to attract to commit to the district....I mean I thought Staples was closing stores!
As much as I love what East Village is becoming, the retail component hasn’t been overly successfully executed and that may be in part because CMLC removes itself from that level of planning. Compare that to West Campus who are curating the retail mix - and I’d say the latter approach is more successful.

Back