Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Latest renderings for this project. Looks like the DP submitted is for two of the three towers, and includes a grocery store. 628 units. 958 units between all three towers.
00-Image22.jpg

render1.jpg

render2.jpg

render3.jpg

aerial.jpg

Well, another big one applied for in the Beltline, including a grocery store:
https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/DP2017-4812

One Properties moving forward with their 12th Avenue project it seems:
http://oneproperties.com/12th-avenue-residential/

I think this is the 5th major DP for the beltline in 2017, with Hines at 4th/12th, Cidex at the Elbow River, Cressey at 12th Ave and 11th Street, Grovesnor at 17th Ave and 4th, and now this one. What recession, right? Well, maybe we shouldn't count our chickens before they hatch (get built), but it sure is nice to see.

Original info on project.
WAM is proposing three new towers for the east Beltline area. Right now appears to be mostly conceptual.

Situated at 12th Avenue and MacLeod Trail within the vibrant mixed-use Beltline area of Calgary, the project is within easy walking distance of downtown, major transportation routes, shopping, restaurants and entertainment. The project will feature retail on the ground and second floor, and 1161 residential suites in three towers (approximately 32, 36, and 38 storeys in height).

http://www.wamdevelopment.com/media/49522/12th-avenue-brochure-low-res.pdf

WAM-12th-2.jpg WAM-12th.jpg

Attachments

• WAM-12th-2.jpg
    WAM-12th-2.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 794
  • WAM-12th.jpg
    WAM-12th.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 891
  • render3.jpg
    render3.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 3,884
  • render2.jpg
    render2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 8,160
  • render1.jpg
    render1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 4,714
  • aerial.jpg
    aerial.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 3,772
  • 00-Image22.jpg
    00-Image22.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 4,030
Last edited:
I'll reserve judgement until I see them in person, but provided the concept made it through to development largely as is, the only thing I'd really dislike about them are the weird curved bits on the roof. Poor execution can ruin anything, but the concept itself is pretty interesting. I think it would stand out in any part of downtown and it sure has heck kicks the crap out of what's on the site at present.

Thanks for the share as always Surreal. :D

I'm waiting to see a more detailed design, which could be a while yet. I suspect given the market out there, it will be a ways away, and by then could be completely different.

Interesting. This is happening? Or is it just proposed?
I think it'll be good, a nice blend of white, black and gray where none of the colours overwhelm the others.
I like the dark tinted windows that separate the different segments of the buildings - gives it uniqueness and depth.
It would seem they dialed back on the intensity of the black, I think that's a good move if that is the case, though it could just be the lighting of the images.

Gonna be an interesting project to follow.

Proposed for now, but submitting a DP is a sign that there is at least life in it.
Interesting. This is happening? Or is it just proposed?
I think it'll be good, a nice blend of white, black and gray where none of the colours overwhelm the others.
I like the dark tinted windows that separate the different segments of the buildings - gives it uniqueness and depth.
It would seem they dialed back on the intensity of the black, I think that's a good move if that is the case, though it could just be the lighting of the images.

Gonna be an interesting project to follow.

Decent enough design, but I agree with Maestro, it looks if something for Mississauga or Burnaby. 958 more units to the Beltine is a huge density boost. Grocery store is a plus.
I’m thankful they went away from the solid black. The Oxford proposal is also black heavy.

Really? You see mundane stuff like this all over downtown Toronto and downtown Vancouver even going up today. Just because stuff like this goes up in Mississauga or Burnaby doesn't make it "suburban"... especially considering how exceptionally urban Burnaby is, for a near-completely post-war built suburban city. Both of those suburbs have the best skyscraper architecture for a suburb probably in the entire Americas. So, point being that this is nothing to scoff at.

The podium is making me drool. Yayyy Beltline!

Yeah I really like this one. I don't mind it having that "Mississauga look" if that's what we're calling it.
Like UrbanWarrior said, we may as well just call it "Vancouver look" or "Toronto look." I mean, really. Look at this:
18-08-2015-1030_xgaplus.jpg

url

It's argued Vancouver is one of if not the most beautiful cities in Canada/North America.
I'd be fine having a slice of that. It may not be anything super eccentric, and perhaps a little Vancouver-esque, but hey, it's a massive improvement from the original plans and I'm thankful enough for that not coming into fruition.

Attachments

• 18-08-2015-1030_xgaplus.jpg
    18-08-2015-1030_xgaplus.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 3,017
Last edited:
Exactly, and regardless, this design is head and shoulders above most of it's neighbours... Alura/Nuera, Stampede Station, Sasso/Vitro... bleh.

True. My comparison about Mississauga and Burnaby is more about three tall towers looking the same.

Also to be fair the podium is more urban minded than a Mississauga or Burnaby type project.

Exactly, and regardless, this design is head and shoulders above most of it's neighbours... Alura/Nuera, Stampede Station, Sasso/Vitro... bleh.

Back