Hopefully not Green Ash, as they are the latest to get leaves in spring and the earliest to lose them in fall. The time they are green is short. They are very resilient in our climate, as well as cheap, hence why developers use them so much.

Sadly I do agree that they will plant Green Ash. I don't mind this tree species at all - they are quite resilient to our climate and once they mature they have great canopies and broad trunks that look great for boulevard avenues. But most sidewalk ash tend to die - my example is all the ash on 17th Ave SW which lately look in very bad shape. The ones outside Comery block are dead! These are cheap trees but a bit of care could go a long way.

I hope they plant Oak and some nice flowering trees. I agree with all of you ^^^^

If all Green Ash trees in Calgary died one summer and were replaced by elms and cottonwoods I'd celebrate.
All green ash dying is something that can definitely happen in Calgary - the emerald ash borer is an introduced pest from Asia that has killed most large native green ash in warmer parts of North America. Calgary winters are the only factor keeping the ash alive - but some mild winters can actually bring most of our green ash susceptible to the borer.

Hopefully not Green Ash, as they are the latest to get leaves in spring and the earliest to lose them in fall. The time they are green is short. They are very resilient in our climate, as well as cheap, hence why developers use them so much.
They look good once the leaves are up, and if they are healthy, also they look nice in the fall, but yeah... they don't have leaf foliage for very long. Sometimes the leaves don't come out on them until mid June.

20210925_095509.jpg
20210925_172701.jpg

Last edited:
PXL_20210930_205235084~2.jpg

Sidewalk work going on, south side.
BUMP mural by Kamâmak and bb iskwew:
As two Nehiyaw Iskwewak (Cree women) artists, we were both impacted by the loss of a community matriarch, artisan, and entrepreneur, Amy Willier, the co-founder of Moonstone Creations in Inglewood. In our state of grief for such a big loss in the Alberta Indigenous art’s community, we created this piece in tribute to the powerful legacy Amy Willier has left in our hearts. [...] The circle behind Amy’s portrait is the sun with 7 beams of light representing the 7 Sacred Teachings of Truth, Honesty, Respect, Humility, Love, Wisdom, and Courage. Amy Willier embodied these teachings with the way she lived her life with family and community. The symmetrical butterflies represent the transformation of coming from darkness into light, and we chose the colour orange to honour the children being found at unmarked mass graves in residential schools across Canada, and green to honour the intergenerational healing of our future generations. Amy advocated for Orange Shirt Day for years, so we know that she is now a helper in the spirit world bringing home the children who never made it back to their family. [...]

Back