Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
It's not going to be a problem. There are several buildings in NA that handle 3+ teams.
Not to mention some off these buildings have different sports that play in the same day; such as hockey/basketball transition.

A full house works in CSEC favour since they should be able to accommodate.

Because I'm always wondering what's going on with this I was happy to see the ole reliable Ryan Pike from Flames Nation feeling the same way: https://flamesnation.ca/2022/08/07/arena-update/

To sum up...

Three people were recruited to be the city’s arms length reps when searching for a deal. Getting them in place was delayed by the contract process. Since then they've been catching up on everything that happened before they were brought on and if you've ever been part of a knowledge transfer you know that can take time.

There's a pinch point in November:
As Ryan says, 'the start of budgeting for the 2023-26 cycle, which begins nominally on Nov. 8 but really get into deep waters during the week of Nov. 21-25. This probably isn’t a huge obstacle since the majority of the ear-marked $287.5 million of proposed arena funds were from residual funds and reserves (and wouldn’t have a material impact on the city’s operational budget), but we could get a sense regarding how the process is going depending on how those funds are treated in the city’s capital planning within the budget.'

The original development permit, approved Nov. 18, 2021 is good for three years and it can be extended twice for two years apiece (so in theory is good until November 2028). So maybe we don't actually see many changes to what we saw last year...

Personally, I'm still holding out hope for an Oakview Group or AEG over CSEC as a partner but that could drag the process out a bit so I better be careful what I wish for.

Gross. Was hoping that development permit would have been burned in the trash by now. I think I would rather wait until 2028 than build the currently proposed monstrosity.

Theoretically if the Saddledome became unusable before there is a new arena where would the Flames play? Maxbell Arena?

Arizona State Arena may have availability in 3-4 years.

Copps Coliseum in Hamilton is undergoing a major renovation, but when it's finished I think it would be choice #1 for a temporary/transitionary relocation

Not sure the Saddledome will last until 2028, the concrete roof is in rough shape and there are concerns about the integrity of the steel cables that support the roof.
If the Saddledome was that bad wouldn't it be a bigger story? Its not worth renovating but I don't think its anywhere close to being a liability. If it was I'm sure someone would've leaked it.

If the Saddledome was that bad wouldn't it be a bigger story? Its not worth renovating but I don't think its anywhere close to being a liability. If it was I'm sure someone would've leaked it.
As they say, time keeps on slipping into the future. $39 million in projected work needed by 2028, which doesn't include the roof, which hasn't had a extensive assessment.

The roof has had passive monitoring for a long while, to detect when cable strands break. They've also found cables that were exposed, and were extensively rusted.

The engineers don't seem worried enough to close it down. Or recommend big costs before 2029.

But at some point a model of the roof will be done, and they're going to have to shut down the building for a week or so to X-Ray all the strands to inform the model.

Then they will be able to tell us with greater certainty if the roof is 50 years from needing replacement, or 5.

If the roof is in immediate need of major work in 5 years then that likely will push the city into quickly making a deal with CSEC to build a new arena. It wouldn't be worth closing the Saddledome for years and spending millions renovating it if your main tenant has no interest in staying in the building long term.

There have been a ton of articles about the condition of the roof in the last few years. They had to do a big concert as an acoustic show a few years back after a dump of snow meant the roof couldn't hold the speaker stacks and equipment. Entuitive Engineering did a review of the roof recently and there were some concerning findings. The roof isn't at risk of imminent collapse or anything, but there is concrete falling off it, the cables are corroding (they have acoustic devices to listen for strand breaks and they have noted many) and it's just generally in poor shape. If no maintenance is done soon, then this will go from concerning to downright dangerous,

If the roof is in immediate need of major work in 5 years then that likely will push the city into quickly making a deal with CSEC to build a new arena. It wouldn't be worth closing the Saddledome for years and spending millions renovating it if your main tenant has no interest in staying in the building long term.

Aren't the Flames liable for 100% of any Saddledome repair costs until their lease expires in 2030? So ya, they will do the bare minimum but if the roof NEEDS help before then, aren't they required to do so or be shut down by the City for safety issues? And if anyone gets hurt wouldn't the Flames be liable?

Last edited:
Aren't the Flames liable for 100% of any Saddledome repair costs until their lease expires in 2030? So ya, they will do the bare minimum but if the roof NEEDS help before then, aren't they required to do so or be shut down by the City for safety issues? And if anyone gets hurt wouldn't the Flames be liable?
I thought the lease was until 2033.

I think the term is
"shall cause to be operated, repaired and maintained the Olympic Saddledome and all other improvements to the Leased Premises in a good and workmanlike manner and operating condition, reasonable wear and tear and structural repair only excepted."

Found this at the Calgary landing page for Skyrise Calgary and giggled
Capture.PNG

Back