Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Dialog and HOK are designing the new arena.
  • CAA Icon is the development manager.
  • CANA and Mortenson construction are still on the project.
  • Construction is planned to start in 2024. Initial construction (moving utilities under 5th street) will begin within the next few weeks
  • New DP required
  • Inflation and cost overruns are assumed by the City
  • Design process begins immediately. No timeline for renders
  • 35 year commitment by the Flames to stay in Calgary
  • The Saddledome will be demolished after the arena is complete. Demolition is paid for by the province

Last edited:
If they want to start construction next year, the DP process better already be underway! The city is so backlogged that DPs are taking several months, as are BPs.

• Dialog and HOK are designing the new arena.
  • CAA Icon is the development manager.
  • CANA and Mortenson construction are still on the project.
  • Construction is planned to start in 2024. Initial construction (moving utilities under 5th street) will begin within the next few weeks
  • New DP required
  • Inflation and cost overruns are assumed by the City
  • Design process begins immediately. No timeline for renders
  • 35 year commitment by the Flames to stay in Calgary
  • The Saddledome will be demolished after the arena is complete. Demolition is paid for by the province

I am not confident with Dialog and HOK as the design team. That is all I will say for now...

My biggest concern with what little info has been made publicly available, and one of my biggest requests, is that the parking area described for the east side doesn't completely kill the street-wall there and actually includes ground floor street-facing retail. The Stampede's latest investments have made the Youth Campus area an interesting area destination and 6th St will be given an underpass to connect to East Village. The potential vibe along this street shouldn't be killed by having a parkade across the street from it.

Screen-Shot-2023-04-25-at-6.34.20-PM.png

Agreement mentions the Stampede... And looking at the post from @outoftheice I hope they move their office from the corner of what they're calling 14th Ave and Stampede Trail. On that note, as it stands Stampede Trail looks like a dud: A hotel, two mixed use buildings, the outdoor plaza and the Stampede offices.

Agreement mentions the Stampede... And looking at the post from @outoftheice I hope they move their office from the corner of what they're calling 14th Ave and Stampede Trail. On that note, as it stands Stampede Trail looks like a dud: A hotel, two mixed use buildings, the outdoor plaza and the Stampede offices.
Hopefully once the dome is gone they can do something along Stampede Trail to make the area a bit better.

I hope they’ve already been working in the background on the new design, and the DP can get submitted sooner than later. As an architecture and development nerd, I don’t like to be kept waiting on new renderings!

Back