I don't recall it being mentioned, but this one is under construction right now.
I had talked to a contact at Brookfield not long ago and he said it was not going ahead for a while yet. They must have sold a bunch of units.

Size of the parcels makes sense to me. Plus is attracting a good group of developers. I think this will become a great community over time. Good mix of product too.

It is too bad the storm pond is kitty corner to Market Mall, that always seems like a waste to me to put on a traffic corner. Perhaps there was no choice on that one.

Size of the parcels makes sense to me. Plus is attracting a good group of developers. I think this will become a great community over time. Good mix of product too.

It is too bad the storm pond is kitty corner to Market Mall, that always seems like a waste to me to put on a traffic corner. Perhaps there was no choice on that one.
Another weird Calgary development factor - and Edmonton to a lesser extent - that other Canadian cities seem to not have; giant storm water ponds as part of most new developments. If Calgary is indeed unique (as I am suggesting), here's a list of theories:
  1. Our storms are more sporadic and heavy? ( save money on smaller pipes because less precipitation than others, but more heavy downpours)
  2. Our topography and soil quality?
  3. Our thresholds of pooling and storm water in the streets is lower, requiring more ponds than elsewhere
  4. Our road network based on arterial, no-zoning roads effectively sterilizes corners like this from higher and better uses, making storm ponds economic as no other use is imagined for these types of places
  5. Our stormwater pipe standards are lower/different resulting in storm ponds being more affordable (and allowed) compared to other cities
Would love to hear some thoughts from folks involved in the industries involved to why storm ponds are so prevalent and so land-consuming. It seems weird that we would need a pond in this location given it's top of the hill and in an already established area with no natural lake.

Just going by memory so may not be accurate but I had the impression that the main reason we had so many storm water ponds was to help divert and filter run-off water that would otherwise go straight into the river. Not as much of an issue in cities where run-off ends up in lakes or oceans but very important for cities like Calgary and Edmonton where our rivers are used as drinking water supplies downstream.

Another weird Calgary development factor - and Edmonton to a lesser extent - that other Canadian cities seem to not have; giant storm water ponds as part of most new developments. If Calgary is indeed unique (as I am suggesting), here's a list of theories:
  1. Our storms are more sporadic and heavy? ( save money on smaller pipes because less precipitation than others, but more heavy downpours)
  2. Our topography and soil quality?
  3. Our thresholds of pooling and storm water in the streets is lower, requiring more ponds than elsewhere
  4. Our road network based on arterial, no-zoning roads effectively sterilizes corners like this from higher and better uses, making storm ponds economic as no other use is imagined for these types of places
  5. Our stormwater pipe standards are lower/different resulting in storm ponds being more affordable (and allowed) compared to other cities
Would love to hear some thoughts from folks involved in the industries involved to why storm ponds are so prevalent and so land-consuming. It seems weird that we would need a pond in this location given it's top of the hill and in an already established area with no natural lake.
I had a class on this in school, but am not currently working in this field, so I may have come details wrong as it's been a few years...

1. Heavy storms are part of it, but less so the cost savings on smaller pipes. The drainage system includes pieces that reduce flow rates as storm water travels towards the rivers, so as not to overwhelm the drains in the lowest sections closer to the river - Think flooded rail underpasses downtown. The storm ponds collects the water volume from the nearby roads, allowing slower drainage towards the downstream parts of the system. Which also relates to:

2. Roads and lot scuppers are what redirects most of the storm water that would have been absorbed by the ground. Our soil isn't so bad here for drainage, but paving it and covering it in houses doesn't help.

3. This is why most storms ponds are built in flatter areas. Roads on hills with dips and rises in them can act as storm ponds if needed (older road building design prior to ponds) - Think 14 ST NW at 16 AVE, 24 AVE & Northmount.

4. That's probably more to do with urban planning policies from the 70s & 80s (&90s)

5. I'm not too sure about our standards. But it isn't strictly a Calgary thing as you said. Edmonton likely has more capacity to divert water into it's less populated river valley. They also build them in new communities, which are typically flatter and further from the river, in Airdrie, Lethbridge, Saskatoon, Winnipeg etc.

Some of them out here in Airdrie have matured quite nicely with a good amount of trees and pathways around them. Become features of neighborhoods even.

Looks like they've started the form works on this project, glad to see some activity. The section of land between Maple and Ivy has been sitting empty for a while and its good to see this area start filling in.

Sorry for the crappy photo
20200227_122708.jpg

Back