There’s also a ton of units UC right now that, I would (very) roughly guess will double that population. So they seem to be very much on track.

BB068292-3314-45E6-9C34-2BA327359E24.jpeg

Because this is out of the core, this is arguably the most urban type of area you’ll find in the city that’s free from some of the issues that plague downtown neighbourhoods, crime, homeless people, etc.

NGL, I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes one of the most desirable neighborhoods in the city with a couple years. It has all the benefits of inner city living without a lot of the cons (as previously mentioned), not to mention it's arguably better planned than Calgary's inner city neighborhoods. Once this becomes established and the trees start to mature this will be once of the nicest places in the city.
If this area is the most urban outside of the downtown core, I feel that it gives even more merit to have a gondola/people mover system go through the NW-Hub, rather than settle with just MAX routes as the main rapid movement within the area.

Initially I thought that a gondola from Westbrook to University Station, going through Foothills Hospital and UCalgary's main entrance would be suffice in connecting the Red Line to the Blue Line, which would give NW & West Calgary commuters a proper rail connection to the hospital. But passing up on University District, and still not having some type of link to Market Mall (which itself could get significant density increase on it's lands) seems like a big miss. So if I was to call the shots, I would also include another gondola line that goes from Banff Trail, and it would stop at Foothills, Children's Hospital/University District, and Market Mall. From there, it could either continue up to to the future Northland Station (stopping at Varsity Plaza on Shaganappi), or head east towards University Station, with a few stops along the way. I think that would be a line that would get good ridership all day long as long as that part of town continues to intensify in population.

Last edited:
Thanks @JTron. With the weather this winter, the road shoulders have not been clear enough of snow and ice, so for the pics taken in December and most of January, I've walked or driven (if it was on the way to somewhere else). I'm not much of a winter rider (then I would be winteryder instead...). I did manage to get out my bike last Friday for the Forge/Argyle/Alt Hotel pics.

Back