News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Which mayoral candidate do you intend to vote for in 2021?

• Jeremy Farkas

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Jyoti Gondek

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • Brad Field

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jan Damery

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Jeff Davison

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Race is too close to call - look at that cross over in the margins of error. Different methods of measuring, all 4 of these, but I do think the relative 'closeness' of the race can't be overstated.

1633813280613.png

I guess if it depends on what you're trying to represent. Sure, relative positioning, that may be correct. But for what the various promises are? Jamery ends up in the centre, maybe a bit centre left, and the rest end up further right.
In the end it depends on what people's personal scale is. I know a lot of people who think Gondek is a left winger because she often brings up climate change. Can she deliver on something like that...not likely, but it's part of her perceived image, and also as mentioned it's relative. Compared to Field, Davison and Farkas, she is more to the left. Personally, think of her as in the center.

My dad said he still had an hour and a half wait (total voting time) on Sunday. Not sure if it was just his advanced station, or if others saw this elsewhere. I will be curious to see how long some of the lines are on actual election day.

While this guy seems like a real POS, and will garner maybe 200 votes max, is this really as big of a concern as being made out by the media? I get that what he has said in the past is frightening, but is this list really any different than the White Pages* that used to be delivered to everyone?

*For those of you reading this too young to know, the White Pages was a telephone book published by the phone companies, delivered to your door, containing the names, phone numbers and even addresses if I remember correctly (at least in the small town/county I grew up in) of everyone within that jurisdiction. Even made it alphabetical for ease of searching.
I don't see the big concern either, and actually wish he had a bit higher profile, he would only be taking votes away from Farkas.

Last edited:
Hmmm, their poll shows Farkass with a slim lead. That said, it's a poll by common Sense Calgary, so I'm not sure how much I'd read into it.
Yes, even if the polling itself was done properly, there's nothing to stop any PAC from doing a dozen polls and publishing the one that best serves their interests.

Exactly it. Polls don't really mean a whole lot, but they give a general idea of what's going on. Looking at recent polls you can reliably rule out Brad Field and Jan Damery, and probably even Davison, as they are all at l;east consistent on who the front runners are. Other than that it's a guessing game. I hope those who don't like Farkas get out and vote, because I can guarantee you a lot of his supporters will.

Hmmm, their poll shows Farkass with a slim lead. That said, it's a poll by common Sense Calgary, so I'm not sure how much I'd read into it.

Yes, even if the polling itself was done properly, there's nothing to stop any PAC from doing a dozen polls and publishing the one that best serves their interests.
The poll is a function of their method.

If they balanced between the Wards, and by age and sex, you could get a reasonable result. Janet Brown I would say is the most likely to be accurate, as it built a custom panel. But, they also had recruitment problems (such a long time in the field!), so There is its own source of potential issues.

What all the polls show: This is a competitive race. https://kyleolsen.com/calgary-election-2021-consistency/

I've got a bad feeling about Farkas. He made statements recently suggesting city planners were colluding with developers and that levies were being manipulated or something to that effect. No proof ..... just 'wild-ass' statements. I don't know how someone like that can be leader in civic government. He sounds like a 'Trump light' to me.

Last edited:
It's going to be a close race right to the finish. 17% are still undecided, either because they haven't decided who to strategically vote for...or those who are clueless and really don't know much about the candidates. I'm hoping Gondek gets the majority of undecided and it's enough to get her in.

Polls are looking good for Gondek, but I have this fear that some of the people in the polls won't come out to vote. Farkas' supporters appear more committed to Farkas. Monday is going to be exciting.

Back