News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Here's my personal summary. This isn't all encompassing, just my thoughts. I will say some are out of sight out of mind for me, but that doesn't mean they are killing it.

Barley Belt

Cabin - Great for hazy very hoppy NEPAs, very comfortable vibe, but also very busy
Born - Enjoy the number of rotating taps, good to try something different almost every time I am there. Less busy than Annex/Cabin/Banded Peak/
Annex - Enjoy the seasonals, namely the paradise found (ginger, have to get it on tap though) and mackinaw peach, relaxed vibe, lil empire is a must try
Outcast - Bit of the beaten path, but good for seasonals. If you are looking for a dark beer they had about on tap over the winter. Less busy, nice and comfortable
Establishment - Started off super weird in my opinion, from what i recall everything was finished in old whiskey barrels, but recently have been great. Some fantastic beers available. Less kid friendly (in my opinion than the above). Canada's best craft brewery.
Banded Peak - Southern Aspect may be my favorite beer in the city. Warehouse feel to the tap room, again less kid friendly feeling than the others above. (Owned by Labatts)
Legend 7 - I think they are still open. Can't remember the last time i had a beer. Sprawling tap room, I recall the food choices being on the more restaurant type of things (compared to others)
OT Brewing - Some good options, but nothing that jumps out to my tastes. Very quiet tap room every time I've been there.
Village - Old reliable. Never been to the tap room, not sure why, maybe they have strange hours or its just too far away.
Prairie Dogs / Paddys - Beer serviceable, but I go for the BBQ

Inglewood / Brewery Flats (I think that's what they go by now)

88 - Wavepool and Night Gallery are both great. Vibe is awesome, (88 Olympics), too bad noble pie left.
Dandy - Started off strange, not sure why but i consider it hipster beer. Some interesting choices, but I've been burned with some of the rotationals. Food is higher scale, patio was great.
Ol Beautiful - Where people go when Cold Garden in full. The Japanese lager is fantastic. Never had A1 but looks fantastic.
Cold Garden.- Might get burned for this, but the tap room vibe, which is great, is the only reason they sell beer. Just my opinion your millage may vary.
Highline - Small tap room, some experimental options. Good patio in the summer.

North Calgary

2 Pillars - Definitely fly under the radar. I'm not sure if they have any but small experimental batches. Nice to have flight or 2. Tap room kind of felt exclusive.
Elite - Huge tap room, decent beer, good food, seems popular every time I've been but you don't hear much about them. Military themed.
Citizen - Several good beers and the tap room seems busy most days of the week.

Downtown / Sunalta

Last Best - As noted by others, toyko drift is a great option. Fun tap room, a great stop for after work beers.
Inner City - Some good options, never too busy when I've been. They have a great trivia night.
Trolley 5 - Beer is decent, location is great. I've kind of felt like they tried riding the wave of brewery popularity more than some others.
Southblock - Better beer than the other BBQ/breweries. There are a couple that I order every time, Was super popular and fun last summer
BSB - The in house IPA is a perfectly serviceable beer. I'm meh on the others.
Tailgunner - Tap room finally opened after what feels like 2 years. The beers I've tried have been ok, but I'm looking forward to trying some draft beer from the source
2 House - Closed but reopening soon hopefully, the new building looks nearly complete. I loved the mixed beer "cocktails"
Best of Kin - TBD Opening soon.

NE Calgary - Disclaimer I rarely attend these tap rooms or drink these beers
Railyard - Up by the airport. Have only ever tried the peach sour. It's okay enough. Never been to the tap room.
Tool Shed - Red Rage and Star Cheek are favorites. Owners are super friendly.
Common Crown - Can't remember the last time I've had one, but recent winners of best brewery in Canada so they must be good!
Heathens Brewing - Cant say i ever recall trying one of these
Minhas - DONT BOTHER
Zero Issue - Another one of my fav's can't believe I missed it. Tap room is hard to get to but the beers are worth it when you do.

Others
Marda Loop brewing - Jenkins grapefruit ale is in my top ten. Friendly vibes. Patio gets larger every day. One of my go to spots.
Wild Rose - Another old reliable. The IPA is one of my favorites in the city. Food is great. (Owned by Sapporo)
Bitter Sisters - If only this was open when went to school here. Beers are serviceable and the patio looks great.
Big Rock - Sometimes there's nothing better than a grasshopper on a hot summer day
Brewster's - 52nd Street peach ale is great.
New Level - Weird beers, looks of milkshake/lactose type beers for a while, not a fan, but I know some people love them.

A great place to try nearly everyone of these is BSB beerfest, happening this coming Saturday, not sure if tickets are still available, but a good place to kick off the Calgary craft beer experience, otherwise ABF beerfest has better representation but isn't as fun. Hopefully the mashing returns this year as well.

Edited to add the breweries in italics.

Last edited:
Here's my personal summary. This isn't all encompassing, just my thoughts. I will say some are out of sight out of mind for me, but that doesn't mean they are killing it.

Barley Belt

Cabin - Great for hazy very hoppy NEPAs, very comfortable vibe, but also very busy
Born - Enjoy the number of rotating taps, good to try something different almost every time I am there. Less busy than Annex/Cabin/Banded Peak/
Annex - Enjoy the seasonals, namely the paradise found (ginger, have to get it on tap though) and mackinaw peach, relaxed vibe, lil empire is a must try
Outcast - Bit of the beaten path, but good for seasonals. If you are looking for a dark beer they had about on tap over the winter. Less busy, nice and comfortable
Establishment - Started off super weird in my opinion, from what i recall everything was finished in old whiskey barrels, but recently have been great. Some fantastic beers available. Less kid friendly (in my opinion than the above). Canada's best craft brewery.
Banded Peak - Southern Aspect may be my favorite beer in the city. Warehouse feel to the tap room, again less kid friendly feeling than the others above. (Owned by Labatts)
Legend 7 - I think they are still open. Can't remember the last time i had a beer. Sprawling tap room, I recall the food choices being on the more restaurant type of things (compared to others)
OT Brewing - Some good options, but nothing that jumps out to my tastes. Very quiet tap room every time I've been there.
Village - Old reliable. Never been to the tap room, not sure why, maybe they have strange hours or its just too far away.
Prairie Dogs / Paddys - Beer serviceable, but I go for the BBQ

Inglewood / Brewery Flats (I think that's what they go by now)

88 - Wavepool and Night Gallery are both great. Vibe is awesome, (88 Olympics), too bad noble pie left.
Dandy - Started off strange, not sure why but i consider it hipster beer. Some interesting choices, but I've been burned with some of the rotationals. Food is higher scale, patio was great.
Ol Beautiful - Where people go when Cold Garden in full. The Japanese lager is fantastic. Never had A1 but looks fantastic.
Cold Garden.- Might get burned for this, but the tap room vibe, which is great, is the only reason they sell beer. Just my opinion your millage may vary.
Highline - Small tap room, some experimental options. Good patio in the summer.

North Calgary

2 Pillars - Definitely fly under the radar. I'm not sure if they have any but small experimental batches. Nice to have flight or 2. Tap room kind of felt exclusive.
Elite - Huge tap room, decent beer, good food, seems popular every time I've been but you don't hear much about them. Military themed.
Citizen - Several good beers and the tap room seems busy most days of the week.

Downtown / Sunalta

Last Best - As noted by others, toyko drift is a great option. Fun tap room, a great stop for after work beers.
Inner City - Some good options, never too busy when I've been. They have a great trivia night.
Trolley 5 - Beer is decent, location is great. I've kind of felt like they tried riding the wave of brewery popularity more than some others.
Southblock - Better beer than the other BBQ/breweries. There are a couple that I order every time, Was super popular and fun last summer
BSB - The in house IPA is a perfectly serviceable beer. I'm meh on the others.
Tailgunner - Tap room finally opened after what feels like 2 years. The beers I've tried have been ok, but I'm looking forward to trying some draft beer from the source
2 House - Closed but reopening soon hopefully, the new building looks nearly complete. I loved the mixed beer "cocktails"
Best of Kin - TBD Opening soon.

NE Calgary - Disclaimer I rarely attend these tap rooms or drink these beers
Railyard - Up by the airport. Have only ever tried the peach sour. It's okay enough. Never been to the tap room.
Tool Shed - Red Rage and Star Cheek are favorites. Owners are super friendly.
Common Crown - Can't remember the last time I've had one, but recent winners of best brewery in Canada so they must be good!
Heathens Brewing - Cant say i ever recall trying one of these
Minhas - DONT BOTHER
Zero Issue - Another one of my fav's can't believe I missed it. Tap room is hard to get to but the beers are worth it when you do.

Others
Marda Loop brewing - Jenkins grapefruit ale is in my top ten. Friendly vibes. Patio gets larger every day. One of my go to spots.
Wild Rose - Another old reliable. The IPA is one of my favorites in the city. Food is great. (Owned by Sapporo)
Bitter Sisters - If only this was open when went to school here. Beers are serviceable and the patio looks great.
Big Rock - Sometimes there's nothing better than a grasshopper on a hot summer day
Brewster's - 52nd Street peach ale is great.
New Level - Weird beers, looks of milkshake/lactose type beers for a while, not a fan, but I know some people love them.

A great place to try nearly everyone of these is BSB beerfest, happening this coming Saturday, not sure if tickets are still available, but a good place to kick off the Calgary craft beer experience, otherwise ABF beerfest has better representation but isn't as fun. Hopefully the mashing returns this year as well.

Edited to add the breweries in italics.
This might be one of the best summaries of Calgary's craft beer scene!

Needless to say I concur!

I was walking from Pet Valu back to my place with my pooches dog food and was gonna go in to see if they sold cans but decided against it. Probably woulda seen you there. Was about 12:30.

Tried the Putin beer from Half Hitch, holy strong beer batman! not bad though. It's a recipe from a Brewry in Lviv and roughly translates to "Putin is a dickhead" in Ukranian. All funds raised go to support Ukraine.

PXL_20220511_141229523.jpg

Ouch. I wonder if the Albeerta Group or whatever it is called could take it over. Almost all of their canned stuff is contract brewed there. I can see Big Rock basically missing out on festival season during COVID causing that huge writedown. They have a huge space. I wonder if they could reconfigure some of it into a new brewery incubator--generating more contract brewing business over time. Or even lease out their canning and bottling lines: people drop off kegs, pick up flats.

Have to admit, been a minute since I had a Big Rock, may have to have a pint or two of Trad this week to help them out haha.
Yeah to be honest I haven't had a Big Rock in a while. Those trad ales are not bad but there's just many new breweries that have pretty good beers that are better than anything big rock is trying out these days.
Also the brewery fairly distant away from anything - sadly it's never in a brewery I would bike to on a weekend.

They should open a brewpub in the Barley Belt!
Not saying this is a bad idea, but I'm not sure how well Big Rock would be welcomed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/barley-belt-brewery-craft-beer-1.5457831

It sounds like the craft breweries in the Barley Belt have no love for bigger companies, but given Big Rock's Alberta history and the ties most the brewers have to it maybe they'd be open to it.

Edited to add - If hey did, I'd be there crushing Grasshoppers regularly during the summer.

Back