How are there so many shit Architects and Developers in this city?
Like almost every profession, it comes down to making money. The entire development can be broken down into a series of spreadsheets. It's just that investments in finishes yield a much higher return than a good façade and massing.

Developers aren't dumb, they often just have a different definition of success. That's what makes good Designers and Developers good.

Edit: For the record, I don't like this

277674FA-609D-4704-8649-CD6BDF174D52.jpeg
A01B9005-34D4-4A30-8258-9775A162C9EF.jpeg

Bleh. I hate that this is what the Currie development is becoming. I mean, density ish, sure, nice. But the master plan we were fed was so much better than stripmall parking lots with towers plopped in the middle 😒

This would be a great community for mixed use projects, similar to those in the University district. But it looks as if we are getting the same old zoned generic land uses that you see in the suburbs. Such a waste for such a great location that could have been a real destination for the city.

Honestly, this rendering below was just another flashy bait and switch. Seeing that there is no direct LRT connection, I always had my doubts about the scale and density proposed originally. The only masterplan I really get ticked off about is the one for Westbrook.

The density in that renderings is accurate for the zoning, and Bosa has a proposal for a 30 storey highrise on the backburner I think. The Max Yellow is set to run down Queensway Wood Drive, with a stop right in the heart of Currie Barracks, once the ultimate road network is built and connected to 33rd Ave / Richmond Road.

It has been surprising to see how slow this master plan has been to get off the ground, compared to University District. Both had very similar concepts of higher density new communities on innercity brownfield sites, but one is definitely ahead of the other. I suppose the weight of the U of C, plus two major hospitals, is more of a driver than MRU is.

The density in that renderings is accurate for the zoning, and Bosa has a proposal for a 30 storey highrise on the backburner I think. The Max Yellow is set to run down Queensway Wood Drive, with a stop right in the heart of Currie Barracks, once the ultimate road network is built and connected to 33rd Ave / Richmond Road.

It has been surprising to see how slow this master plan has been to get off the ground, compared to University District. Both had very similar concepts of higher density new communities on innercity brownfield sites, but one is definitely ahead of the other. I suppose the weight of the U of C, plus two major hospitals, is more of a driver than MRU is.
You'd think that the market pressure and popularity in the inner SW would be pushing Currie along faster. The stretch from Mount Royal to Sarcee Trail has limited large-scale brownfield outside of this area. With the limited supply and increasingly unaffordable ground oriented stuff in the area, seems like it's pushing other developments in the area to scale up, with Truman's stuff closer to Westbrook and the ongoing march of 6 storey apartments along 33rd Ave. You'd think Currie would be primed to take advantage of that.
I think Quarry Park is about as exciting as Currie...
I agree - I think the main difference between University District and Currie is the vision of how walkable it is supposed to be. Although both marketing brouchures have the same buzzwords - and Currie's plans certainly have a ton of interesting elements that will make a fairly walkable place, true intent and priority is revealed with what's happening on the ground. This ridiculous piece of infrastructure should have been the warning sign, especially how eagerly it was built way before any of the density.

1637771573799.png

Back