Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
IMG_2075 2.JPG
IMG_2076 2.JPG
IMG_2077 2.JPG
IMG_2078 2.JPG

Pretty they aren't, but I'm happy to see them get built. Regardless of what people think of the whole Garrison Woods/Currie Barracks plan, the Currie Barracks portion it's still a mostly suburban type area, and is across the freeway from Marda Loop, thus not interfering with its vibe. The architects could have done better, but I'm not going to lose sleep over this, like I would if this was going into Marda Loop somewhere.

It is not just the awful taste in architecture, but look at the public realm or lack thereof! Parking lots in front of the buildings, Really? This area has so much potential and this is what they throw our way!

I've been trying to figure out exactly what I don't like about it. But I think it's just a real estate investment to create floor area, without any regard for the positive impact the built environment can have on a community.

It's a box surrounded by parking that they attempted to save with small articulations and bold colours. We have to start with making a positive impact, and find a way to create revenue generating floor area after, it's hard but not impossible. Maybe I'm an idealist, but I don't see an attempt at that here, and who knows how much of that responsibility falls on the design team.

Back