Every time I look at the south side of Kensington Road between Crowchild and 14th street, I want to cry. What a great corridor it could have been if the city had a bit more foresight back then.
Total sadness. I imagine road would’ve been designed that way probably 100 or more years ago. Nobody back than ever dreamed Calgary would be pushing 2 million people, and they would need to plan things.

A unique configuration like this leaves a pretty interesting opportunity. There's a chance to take advantage of the fact you don't have front yards, I don't know what that is or looks like... Let the experts bring you ideas.

Last edited:
A day of unprecedented joy in NW Calgary. Spandrel now adorns Kensington Road

IMG_0722.jpeg
IMG_0721.jpeg
IMG_0720.jpeg
IMG_0724.jpeg

It’s too bad the courtyards always seem to be on the north side of the buildings. Therefore, in the shadows and not as enjoyable. I think that is want I’m seeing.

It’s too bad the courtyards always seem to be on the north side of the buildings. Therefore, in the shadows and not as enjoyable. I think that is want I’m seeing.
A lot of the developments have to have a step back on the side that would cause a shadow, so unfortunately the terraces are often on the north side. They could do terraces on the south side, but then it takes away from their buildable space.

When I look at this image (from @trtcttc), it reminds me that we have a ways to go before we have any real density. It's improving for sure, but still so many SFHs so close to the core.

View attachment 558036
There’s the RNDSQR development and multiple 19th street facing lots for sale that more buildings like 19+2 and Frontier can be built. And that the city improves the 1 bus to a Max Service.

Back