I really like this development and really don't like tearing down of a character block. Tough call.

To poke some fun, here's the location blurb from the website. Clearly for non-locals. I corrected:

Infused with the spirit of 17th Ave (actually on 10 Ave), it’s perfectly located on Calgary’s iconic restaurant row (wait, which row? are we talking about 17th Ave again?) and within the emerging Design District (I never heard of this district before and I lived on 1st Street SW a block from here for over 5 years). Taste resides here in abundance. Which is why it should come as no surprise that so many of the most esteemed restaurants, boutiques, and personalities await your discovery – not just along 10th Ave (correct avenue!), but around every corner.
Grab a coffee at one of the many trendy cafés. Meet a friend for wine and appetizers on the patio of one of the many culinary hot spots. Take the family for ice cream after a bike ride around the neighbourhood or shop for the latest fashions. No matter what you’re looking for, you’ll find it just steps away from your home at Gallery. (all this checks out, great neighbourhood as good as they get)
Whatever your fitness passion, you’ll find fantastic options around 10th Ave. Boxing, cycle & yoga classes, crossfit and more. Looking for something to do with the kids? Feed the fish at the Devonian Gardens, visit the discovery room at the Glenbow Museum, take a free train ride on the LRT to the Calgary Science Centre (Telus Spark, outside free fare zone for LRT. Old science centre was in free-fare zone) and Shaw Millennium Skate Park or discover the Riverfront Aquarium (we have an aquarium? Do they mean the zoo?) – the options are endless!

not easy to say no to that.

theres enough towers being built in that area to sustain a decent level of vibrancy in a few years. already starting to see it now.

weve come a long way from the sasso/vetro - aura/nuera crimes against humanity!

It seems like the new trend is condos for out of town buyers. Out with the sales centres in with the flashy investor websites.

Either way, I'm glad to see residential in the core on such a roll!

I know rents have been going up in Calgary but I don’t think they’re that high yet. Maybe they figure rents will be up in that range by the time the building is done.
They are not, and I doubt they will be anytime very soon. That's what you pay for a really great 1 bed in Toronto packed with amenities.

Are we really fawning over an out of province investor driven tower, featuring closet sized condos that will demolish one of few remaining historic blocks with multiple CRU's? At least the new renderings are honest and show the ocean of parking lots across the street where this should be built instead. Gross. This will detract from area vibrancy not add to it.

I really like this development and really don't like tearing down of a character block. Tough call.

To poke some fun, here's the location blurb from the website. Clearly for non-locals. I corrected:

Infused with the spirit of 17th Ave (actually on 10 Ave), it’s perfectly located on Calgary’s iconic restaurant row (wait, which row? are we talking about 17th Ave again?) and within the emerging Design District (I never heard of this district before and I lived on 1st Street SW a block from here for over 5 years). Taste resides here in abundance. Which is why it should come as no surprise that so many of the most esteemed restaurants, boutiques, and personalities await your discovery – not just along 10th Ave (correct avenue!), but around every corner.
Grab a coffee at one of the many trendy cafés. Meet a friend for wine and appetizers on the patio of one of the many culinary hot spots. Take the family for ice cream after a bike ride around the neighbourhood or shop for the latest fashions. No matter what you’re looking for, you’ll find it just steps away from your home at Gallery. (all this checks out, great neighbourhood as good as they get)
Whatever your fitness passion, you’ll find fantastic options around 10th Ave. Boxing, cycle & yoga classes, crossfit and more. Looking for something to do with the kids? Feed the fish at the Devonian Gardens, visit the discovery room at the Glenbow Museum, take a free train ride on the LRT to the Calgary Science Centre (Telus Spark, outside free fare zone for LRT. Old science centre was in free-fare zone) and Shaw Millennium Skate Park or discover the Riverfront Aquarium (we have an aquarium? Do they mean the zoo?) – the options are endless!
The Design District is 11ave where all the galleries and furniture stores are. Some Architects and Interior Designers are located there as well.

After much thought, I think I am against this tower for many of the reasons already stated. i really like the tower, however, I'm not willing to bulldoze a historic block for it when there is ample vacant land all around it. Hope this doesn't go ahead.

Are we really fawning over an out of province investor driven tower, featuring closet sized condos that will demolish one of few remaining historic blocks with multiple CRU's? At least the new renderings are honest and show the ocean of parking lots across the street where this should be built instead. Gross. This will detract from area vibrancy not add to it.
Have to disagree. Aside from the historical part of the existing building, it houses nothing of note and does little for the vibrancy of the area. Adding a modern building with 120 units will absolutely do more for the area than a barber shop, pawn store and tattoo artist. Never been the the shisha bar, not sure if it's busy, the chicken place certainly does nothing.

Aside from the historical part of the existing building, it houses nothing of note and does little for the vibrancy of the area.
I work near here and agree. Don't mistake this block for 1st St south of 12th Ave. Adding the people to the neighborhood and the fewer but likely more pedestrian impactful CRUs should be a net positive.

To a certain extent it is gentrification, there's no debating that. These businesses obviously do fine and I'm sure the rent is affordable for the current tenants but this isn't the hill to die on. I'm all for making/keeping Calgary a little weird and this proposed development is a boring peanut butter and jam sandwich. But when the time is right I like peanut butter and jam sandwiches.

Last edited:

Back