MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
More information on this redevelopment has been posted on the Community Association's website based on a presentation given to them by the team behind this project on May 2nd. The post contains a lot of information, I will snip in some of the key bits here, along with the preliminary plans at this stage. Important to note there has not yet been any submission to The City, these are still conceptual, but it does seem like this project is moving forward.

Short-term (5-15 years) vision:
1683902745347.png

Long-term vision:
1683902771939.png

1683902879539.png

1683902896346.png

I love that there's a high street and for bonus points it ties into the BRT stop and also to the park.

COOP if you're reading this, do yourself a favor and call RioCan.
Pretty much addresses all my previous questions on the weirdness of the existing shopping area's design with the overly large setbacks and ignorance to the park as an amenity. Would be great if this vision is implemented. For suburban density, this location is reasonably central, transit-adjacent and with a huge park amenity - checks many boxes.

Last edited:
More information on this redevelopment has been posted on the Community Association's website based on a presentation given to them by the team behind this project on May 2nd. The post contains a lot of information, I will snip in some of the key bits here, along with the preliminary plans at this stage. Important to note there has not yet been any submission to The City, these are still conceptual, but it does seem like this project is moving forward.

View attachment 476589

Long-term vision:
View attachment 476590

View attachment 476591
View attachment 476592
WOW, if this happens with solid podiums, it will be a big win for TOD's in Calgary! This is how TOD developments should be approached, not the crap we got built around Shawnessey and Saddletowne. The only thing I would consider changing is integrating phase 3 developments into the BRT station itself.

View attachment 476589

Long-term vision:
View attachment 476590

View attachment 476591
View attachment 476592

Northland Village Redevelopment but good

WOW, if this happens with solid podiums, it will be a big win for TOD's in Calgary! This is how TOD developments should be approached, not the crap we got built around Shawnessey and Saddletowne. The only thing I would consider changing is integrating phase 3 developments into the BRT station itself.
It would be nice to have some good examples of TOD as incentive for the city to do some real TOD projects around our LRT stations.

This would be a home run townhome or wood frame apt site but I see this as being a good place for University District scale. Would like to see it build out at a 3-6 storey scale in the shorter term. Up to 20 storey podium towers as described are a bit of a long shot and long play imo.

I love that there's a high street and for bonus points it ties into the BRT stop and also to the park.

COOP if you're reading this, do yourself a favor and call RioCan.
Someone mentioned COOP dissolved the relationship with Quarry Bay. Hopefully they pick a company with a track record. RioCan would be a decent candidate.

Oh my lanta! This is like a dream come true!

Back