So I tried looking at a lot of the thread but 60 pages of reading could take a long time. So is funding the main delay right now or are there any other significant issues? I'm always fascinated with LRT construction regardless of what city it is in.
The main issue is this, and that the deep bit of silt and clay is right at where the tunnel is supposed to run:
1621350141230.png

This is causing risk allocation issues, which in turn is causing a funding issue, because of the need for contingencies upon contingencies with the contracting strategy the city chose.

Big green line days today and tomorrow.
Today:
The Green Line Board reports to Priorities and Finance, and tomorrow it reports to the Green Line Committee.
$628 million spent as of end of February, $634 million to date, with $712 million of committed costs.
The city is very close to awarding the construction manager contract for downtown utilities relocation.

Tomorrow the segment 2 functional plan will be brought to Green Line Committee.

The commercial team conducted a confidential market sounding with 24 builder/designers, tunnel companies and lenders.

Ridership estimate: Stage 1 will serve 55,000-65,000 transit users a day in 2028
Tomorrow:
1621350876164.png

1621350919154.png

1621350949063.png

1621350968710.png

1621351043454.png

1621351052799.png

1621351093556.png

1621351119823.png

1621351567416.png

Where the BRT overlaps Green Line Stage 1 on Centre Street N south of 16 Avenue N there are significant challenges associated with accommodating all modes of movement efficiently. Centre Street N will be reduced to a single lane of vehicular traffic in each direction, will include a median running LRT and will have limited left turning opportunities. Consideration had been given to allowing the BRT to operate with the LRT in the median (See Figure 2-5). However, due to the limited distance that the BRT and LRT could operate in a shared right-of-way (ROW) (approximately 5 blocks), the potential operational challenges for both BRT and LRT operations and impacts to the urban realm required to facilitate bus access into the LRT ROW, the recommendation is that the BRT will operate in the general-purpose travel lanes. As a method to improve operations, no BRT stops have been proposed south of 16 Avenue N to minimize additional impacts to vehicular flows, which is the same as the existing BRT operations.

North of 16th Ave: During the initial evaluation of a potential median running option, it became apparent that this option would require a significant amount of ROW be acquired, particularly since left turn movements across the median would need to be made on a protected signal phase and the stations would need to be located in the medians. This along with the challenges that an implementation of a median BRT would have for the northerly extension of the LRT led us to not examine this option in a significant amount of detail.

1621351666272.png

1621351691906.png

1621351907184.png

1621351721414.png

Gondek didn't really help along the way though - at one point she even suggested reverting the entire project back to BRT, which I am sure helped greatly to build provincial confidence. This project has barely moved over the life of this council - the only positive steps seem to be when they finally adopted best practices and took control out of council's hands and into an appointed board, something that should have happened much longer ago.
Didn't she also suggest have the north part of the green Line go through Nose Creek valley instead? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Didn't she also suggest have the north part of the green Line go through Nose Creek valley instead? Or am I thinking of someone else?
I don't know how hard she pushed for the Nose Creek option, but it was somethign she was considering.

From a tweet a couple of years ago.

4/ #greenlineyyc alignment east of Centre Street still allows for the right-of-ways along Harvest Hills Blvd to be used for LRT, from 144th to 96th. Moving east at that point allows for a future airport connector option & stations as the line heads south parallel to Deerfoot.

The City of Calgary has announced that PCL Construction will lead the downtown utilities relocation work for Green Line with construction to begin this fall. I believe this is almost $200 million in work that is seen as being an important factor in lowering project risk for the main construction contract.

That’s awesome! A step forward.

Are there maps with this level of detail (or more) for other parts of the line, specifically in Ogden? I'm thinking diagrams that show sidewalks, tracks, ramps, etc.
Check the Green Line presentation for the Transportation and Transit Committee meeting from June 2017, specifically attachments #1 and #3.

They are big and CPU intensive files though, especially attachment #3 which contains drawings for the entire line. I suspect there are many changes for the DT and North after three years but the SE line doesn't sound like it should be very different. Here's the 2017 plan for the area around the Ogden section:

72cISEk.png

Back