Yeah. Hopefully I’m alive for when the designs of the stations and other infrastructure are released. Jesus 🙄

Eau Claire market will close Q2 2024 and he demolished. A portion of the property has been officially negotiated and allocated to the green line station.

I look forward to the market land being LRT construction staging and then a dust lot for the next decade.

Nice to redo the “plaza” area and then have both the market and the Y close.

Eau Claire market will close Q2 2024 and he demolished. A portion of the property has been officially negotiated and allocated to the green line station.

I look forward to the market land being LRT construction staging and then a dust lot for the next decade.

Nice to redo the “plaza” area and then have both the market and the Y close.
Like Westbrook, but only downtown and with a brand new plaza for the Green Line construction team to enjoy on their lunch break.

From: https://eauclairestation.ca/wp-cont...-Open-House-Boards-31Oct2022_Compressed-1.pdf
1674149747253.png

The concept design looks good. It's the right scale, and having the station off to the side, is perfect. It's too bad Harvard Developments is involved instead of a serious developer, or CMLC working with more than one serious developer.

Zero confidence Harvard understands the context of this site and what the needs are for it to be successful. Expecting poor connection and integration with the green line station too.
They have done a lot of different projects throughout Western Canada. Eau Claire looks to be their most ambitious.

They have done a lot of different projects throughout Western Canada. Eau Claire looks to be their most ambitious.

Yes and they lead off their marketing with Hill Towers which completed 30 years ago.

Given their other developments, I think this is too ambitious imo. With the LRT station next to Eau Claire I consider it a strategic site, and I would like to see it least somebody like CMLC involved.
Maybe the city can convince Harvard to do a development somewhere down on McLeod Trail by Chinook.

Last edited:
Harvard hired Perkins & Will for the previous Eau Claire redevelopment proposal, so there's hope...

Part of my lack of hope. Previous iterations out of a quality firm have been uninspired long before the value engineering. I’m not sold on the grid streets and generic main level retail under copy and paste buildings. It’ll be just like East Village. Fine for a collection of local services that are great for immediate residents but there is no main draw for anyone from outside the area. The few establishments fronting the plaza will equate to the Simmons building. The rest will be lacklustre.

The green line station won’t be bustling. It’ll serve north end commuters that work around that end of downtown. South end commuters will get off at the previous station and take the rest of the way more direct on foot. Eau Claire residents, first there really aren’t that many, won’t be taking the green line in great numbers. So the thought of a new ‘street’ market flooded with visitors, residents, local tourists, and workers is a pipe dream.

Maybe one day long in the future the 7th Ave station with direct connections to the Core mall, blue line, subway under Stephen, and subway in the food court will be a bustling hub like Toronto Yonge Dundas at the Eaton Centre is.

Back