MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
We have discussed this land use redesignation along 16th AVenue and 2nd Street NW a bit, but there is now an engagement website set-up for it.
Application
Engagement Website

Important to note this is still just the land use stage, and the following images are just massings to show what COULD be built if the zoning is approved. There is no specific building design at this time.
1634654431093.png

1634654453702.png

Has there been any discussion of the proposed LUA and DP on the corner of 2nd St NW between 16th and 17th Aves?

Applicant is looking to upzone from 28m max height to 71m or 20-22 stories
The newly minted North Hill Local Area Plan sets the north half of that parcel to 6 stories and the south to 12 stores so this will be very interesting to see what is decided.

I'm concerned if the plan is disregarded immediately after being passed and the LUA approved the rest of the inner-city communities may just wash their hands of the whole process.

There is now a (pretty extensive) engagement site for this

Aerials_Tower_4pm_June21.png

1634658420302.png

1634658464815.png

That';s a good sized project. I suspect there will be blowback on it, even if the 17th ave side is a reasonable scale. I think the tower portion on 16th ave is fine.

Agreed. I imagine the tower might get some heat, and frankly I don't really care whether or not it's a tower or just a really fat midrise. I'm just relieved to see there's finally some serious interest in developing 16th Ave. I know there's a lot of "if only's" when it comes to 16th. But at this point I'd be thrilled if one-day 16th is lined with these kinds of developments.

Yeah ... there has been lots proposed along that stretch of 16 Ave ... Landstar's, LaCaille's, Harmony One, Concorde's North Hill shopping centre and whatever is planned for Midfield trailer park ... but nothing seems to get going.

Yeah ... there has been lots proposed along that stretch of 16 Ave ... Landstar's, LaCaille's, Harmony One, Concorde's North Hill shopping centre and whatever is planned for Midfield trailer park ... but nothing seems to get going.
It's too bad Concorde is the developer for North Hill Mall. Any other developer building cheaper condo or rental units would have a much better chance of building there. The location is better than those other spots on 16th.

It's too bad Concorde is the developer for North Hill Mall. Any other developer building cheaper condo or rental units would have a much better chance of building there. The location is better than those other spots on 16th.
There are still the environmental issues for the site. It is a long play for them.

https://jemm.ca/16-avenue/
On a side, yet similar note, does anyone know if the land use was approved for this site a block away?
Large-Site-FAR10-2Tower-1024x576.jpg

If somehow both these sites go ahead along with an LRT station, I can imagine some more momentum building for a TOD highrise/midrise node along 16th ave.
This project has it's own forum thread:

https://jemm.ca/16-avenue/
On a side, yet similar note, does anyone know if the land use was approved for this site a block away?
Large-Site-FAR10-2Tower-1024x576.jpg

If somehow both these sites go ahead along with an LRT station, I can imagine some more momentum building for a TOD highrise/midrise node along 16th ave.
It would be a lot of momentum. Maybe a mixed use high rise development could be built on the SE corner of 16th and centre also.

Back