Looks like the DP is approved. I wonder when they plan to go ahead:

Address: 634 MCDOUGALL RD NE
File Number: DP2020-4528
Description: New: Dwelling Unit, Brewery, Winery and Distillery, Restaurant: Licensed - Small
Applicant: FORMED ALLIANCE ARCHITECTURE STUDIO

Honestly, I'll be thrilled to see something get built in that spot. I care more about the purpose it serves than how it looks, and it won't be easily visible - and because of that, it'll probably look killer when it's it's done.

I'm not very worried about how this project will turn out as the architect is FAAS and their projects with RNDSQR always turn out well (Their renders are also much more accurate). General Block is FAAS, while CY33 and PLATFORM are 5468796.

I am, however, much more worried about RNDSQR Block... (which is 5468796)

FAAS Render
40180-117270.jpg

Final Product
3S0yqyF5XJ.jpeg

5468796 Renders
CY33_banner.jpg

30768-92459.jpg

Final Products...
lbwpFHpQZw.jpeg

UdxKw0aJTW.jpeg

(Nothing against 5468796 by the way. It's unfortunate that some of their projects have been value-engineered down by developers.)

Last edited:
It's cool to see a building with the public corridor being part of the exterior. I remember seeing this all over London and wondered why they didn't do that here in Calgary. Likely due to the weather and upkeep here, but I would think you could create some savings by not having to heat these spaces during the winter.

It's cool to see a building with the public corridor being part of the exterior. I remember seeing this all over London and wondered why they didn't do that here in Calgary. Likely due to the weather and upkeep here, but I would think you could create some savings by not having to heat these spaces during the winter.
I never really got why Calgary doesn't have more of the outdoor corridors/stair either (besides that we have a bunch of random different planning regulations that discourages buildings from considering it and now no one remembers why we have those rules in the first place).

Seems common in many places, notably Montreal with several times the snow and ice concerns of Calgary:

1623266389615.png

All the classic Montreal walkups have no interior/shared hallways. I haven't seen numbers to prove this, but it would make sense to me that maximizing interior rentable/usable space and minimizing interior non-rentable/useable space (e.g. hallways) you would end up with a cheaper and more efficient building to maintain and operate, net of a bit of extra shovelings in the winter.

I never really got why Calgary doesn't have more of the outdoor corridors/stair either (besides that we have a bunch of random different planning regulations that discourages buildings from considering it and now no one remembers why we have those rules in the first place).

Seems common in many places, notably Montreal with several times the snow and ice concerns of Calgary:

View attachment 326464

All the classic Montreal walkups have no interior/shared hallways. I haven't seen numbers to prove this, but it would make sense to me that maximizing interior rentable/usable space and minimizing interior non-rentable/useable space (e.g. hallways) you would end up with a cheaper and more efficient building to maintain and operate, net of a bit of extra shovelings in the winter.
I bet you're correct in that it's some sort of outdated planning regulation. It would allow more interior for 3 storey rowhome developments if they could do that.

Back