News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

People think of themselves like Carl from the movie UP: Protecting their house from scary development! Single family homes are very romanticized and the city is seen as a negative in a lot of pop culture. There are movies about New York and how 'great' it is but outside of Life of Pets and niche things like this forum, the city is depicted as a scary place. It's dystopian, overbearing, crime-ridden, etc.

Could just be me that feels this way and maybe I am exposed to too much pop culture coming out of the US, but of course people are going to hate the creep of a city as it grows up and not just out, they're pounded over the head with how bad that is.

People think of themselves like Carl from the movie UP: Protecting their house from scary development! Single family homes are very romanticized and the city is seen as a negative in a lot of pop culture. There are movies about New York and how 'great' it is but outside of Life of Pets and niche things like this forum, the city is depicted as a scary place. It's dystopian, overbearing, crime-ridden, etc.

Could just be me that feels this way and maybe I am exposed to too much pop culture coming out of the US, but of course people are going to hate the creep of a city as it grows up and not just out, they're pounded over the head with how bad that is.
There's definitely a different feeling toward the 'city' or inner city in American culture. To be fair, the inner city in most U.S. cities is different from the inner city in Canadian cities, but because they control so much pop culture, the stereotype lives, and maybe influences others.

Super interesting project proposal for the corner of 19th Street and 24th Ave https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/?find=DP2022-07178

Screenshot_20221027-180345.png

27 units plus 1 retail space and from what I can gather a small parkade under the units in the alley. I grew up a block from here and I think it's a great proposal for the location!

Super interesting project proposal for the corner of 19th Street and 24th Ave https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/?find=DP2022-07178

View attachment 435375
27 units plus 1 retail space and from what I can gather a small parkade under the units in the alley. I grew up a block from here and I think it's a great proposal for the location!
Love it. Simple, pedestrian-focused and contextual to the area.

I don't know what took so long, but 50 years of having a 30,000 student major university a kilometre or so a way should have turned much of Banff Trail into apartments, shops, townhomes and a bizarre great mix of stuff decades ago. Super exciting to see all these proposals along 24 Avenue NW finally making it happen.

Probably time to reevaluate the MGA & LTA (maybe next time there is an NDP government) wrt density related restrictive covenants.

I can see these density RC’s eventually not being upheld/enforced by courts due their discriminatory nature.

Also, what an overreaction to an LAP. I haven’t reviewed the Heritage LAP, but even if it proposes drastic change, I can’t imagine that the neighbourhoods of Chinook Park, Kelvin Grove and Eagle Ridge would see any major structural change before eeryone who owns a home in these neighbourhoods will likely have moved on or passed away. There will be a natural progression to density, it’s not going to happen overnight.

I’m not sure these organizers are going to achieve their goal, because why would those landowners on corridors ever restrict the highest and best use of their property. Landowners are going to want the best value for their property.

Probably time to reevaluate the MGA & LTA (maybe next time there is an NDP government) wrt density related restrictive covenants.

I can see these density RC’s eventually not being upheld/enforced by courts due their discriminatory nature.

Also, what an overreaction to an LAP. I haven’t reviewed the Heritage LAP, but even if it proposes drastic change, I can’t imagine that the neighbourhoods of Chinook Park, Kelvin Grove and Eagle Ridge would see any major structural change before eeryone who owns a home in these neighbourhoods will likely have moved on or passed away. There will be a natural progression to density, it’s not going to happen overnight.

I’m not sure these organizers are going to achieve their goal, because why would those landowners on corridors ever restrict the highest and best use of their property. Landowners are going to want the best value for their property.

I think it’s highly unlikely that material numbers of homeowners in Chinook Park are actually going to plump up $500 to do this - clicking like on a facebook post is easy but writing that cheque is a lot harder.

I don't think changes to land titles or the MGA are necessary - if someone wants to limit the development potential of their own property then they are within their rights to do so, but this will only be attractive to a small minority of people in the market. Even the lawyer quoted in that article said that most people are trying to remove RCs, not add them.

It's funny that Chinook Park, Kelvin Grove and Eagle Ridge are pursuing this because - aside from the strip along Elbow Drive near Wise Wood - those neighbourhoods are not attractive to redevelopment/intensification.

View attachment 435375
I would have preferred something on the scale of Catalyst, for a corner if a busy intersection but this is also good.

I actually think that the downturn since 2014 will end up being a positive for the city. We are likely seeing more infill development in areas like Bridge land, Kensington, inglewood and Marda Loop. Developers are comfortable that they can sell 90 units in these neighborhoods, but not 250 in downtown or the beltline.

We are building some pretty cool communities now and I'm confident that in the future we will start seeing DT/Beltline really fill in. Given high energy prices, tech growth and the potential for carbon capture projects, hydrogen projects, etc I believe that Calgary will see our DT/Beltline areas come back to life. We all despise the empty lots, but it would be a shame to put 75 homes on a spot if we could wait 5 years and put 375 homes on the same spot.

Lots of townhomes coming to 20th St SW south of 33rd.

On the DMAP I count 4 between 42nd and 50th alone. I like the design of this one from 20th and 43rd that's in circulation:

1670600700995.png

There's also three more townhome projects going in on 19th St looking at Glenmore Athletic Park.

Last edited:
Another "mising middle" infill development is going in along 33rd Ave SW at 1615 - 1619 33rd Ave SW. The land use goes to CPC this week:
Report, Background, Applicant Submission, DP Summary, Engagement Summary

From the DP summary:
View attachment 444576
View attachment 444577
View attachment 444578
Good luck to them, I've waxed poetic about my distain for the community association and they're open bias against anything that isn't a near-million-dollar duplex, two single-family homes, or townhome.

Another "mising middle" infill development is going in along 33rd Ave SW at 1615 - 1619 33rd Ave SW. The land use goes to CPC this week:
Report, Background, Applicant Submission, DP Summary, Engagement Summary

From the DP summary:
View attachment 444576
View attachment 444577
View attachment 444578
  • 18 units of a variety of sizes, and therefore price points in an otherwise expensive area
  • On a main street, with 2 fairly solid bus routes that interline here (Route 7 and 22) to create decent frequency for quick access to downtown
  • On the low end of the Marda Loop hill making cycling easier.
  • 100m from South Calgary Park and it's amenities, library and recreation facilities.
All in a place where 2 homes used to be. About as good of a spot as any for this scale of development.

Back