Wonder what effect this will have on Cold Garden and Ol Beautiful, this site is their parking basically.
Bingo. The community opposition is because the project will reduce available parking for visitors to Inglewood. Yep ... can't have development if there is no where for cars to park (sarcasm :rolleyes: ). I believe Kensington has reduced parking yet that has not stopped development.

Wonder what effect this will have on Cold Garden and Ol Beautiful, this site is their parking basically.
Bingo. The community opposition is because the project will reduce available parking for visitors to Inglewood. Yep ... can't have development if there is no where for cars to park (sarcasm :rolleyes: ). I believe Kensington has reduced parking yet that has not stopped development.
I think a few people will complain, but in the end it'll be the same as it is for Sunnyside, Mission, etc.. People will figure a way to find parking somewhere, but it won't be as close as before. If parking were to be an issue, the city could also add some parking to the u/g that goes with the development, like they did with Hansen Square or Lido.

I'm sure Cold Carden and Ol beautiful will figure it out. They will likely have to reduce their own patio area and allow for parking on their own property. They tripled the size of their patio during Covid and have tried to keep it.

If it is about interim parking that isn't forever, why doesn't the city just open up on-street parking along this highlighted portion of 11 St SE and then create some turn-in parking stalls in the flat area closest to Airpoint Gallery? Here:
1674147941107.png

There is a staircase to the underpass right there that would give people access, you would just need to create signage to direct people to the "overflow" parking.

Is that formal parking leased by the breweries for their purposes or just informal parking? I assume the city owns the site - is it paid parking via Park Plus?

Would make for a very informative parking study - there is absolutely zero chance that Cold Garden and Ol Beautiful have anywhere close to the majority of their customers and revenue from people driving their own vehicles to visit the place in this lot, which hold 30 to 40 stalls maximum. They get several thousand daily customers on a busy summer weekend. Ubers, scooters and bicycles don't use that lot so would be unimpacted by development. Further, the revenue per customer for the breweries is likely non-uniform - I'd place a bet that the cyclists and uber riders spend several times the amount that a typical driver would.

Plus the redevelopment - surely adding 20 thirsty firefighters per day after most shift changes, for decades + 100-ish more permanent residents surely would produce more revenue for these breweries than 30-40 stalls could ever?

Is that formal parking leased by the breweries for their purposes or just informal parking? I assume the city owns the site - is it paid parking via Park Plus?

Would make for a very informative parking study - there is absolutely zero chance that Cold Garden and Ol Beautiful have anywhere close to the majority of their customers and revenue from people driving their own vehicles to visit the place in this lot, which hold 30 to 40 stalls maximum. They get several thousand daily customers on a busy summer weekend. Ubers, scooters and bicycles don't use that lot so would be unimpacted by development. Further, the revenue per customer for the breweries is likely non-uniform - I'd place a bet that the cyclists and uber riders spend several times the amount that a typical driver would.

Plus the redevelopment - surely adding 20 thirsty firefighters per day after most shift changes, for decades + 100-ish more permanent residents surely would produce more revenue for these breweries than 30-40 stalls could ever?
The parking is owned by one of the businesses in the area, of which I can’t recall but it’s private property as it stands right now. People that visit the pubs park there although they’re technically not supposed to.
In that case, the community doesn’t even have an argument in regards to parking.

There is a Smithbilt sign on the fence on streetview, they probably had some deal with the city when they built their grain elevator cowboy hat factory (fuckin Calgary lol). But looking at the area, I'm sure people can walk a few blocks to the bar, everyone in Calgary thinks they need to be able to park right at the door in order to go inside a business.

Exactly, if people can’t visit Cold garden or Ol beautiful because that parking lot is gone, then they have bigger things to worry about and like SP said, they can always incorporate city Parkade underground with the development. Not that I love extra parking everywhere, but it wouldn’t be the worst thing.

Whatever happens, cold garden, and old, beautiful will be fine. The vast majority of customers they have either walk or cycle there. If anything they will benefit from having 12 stories of residential plus a fire station across the street.
As for the residence of the community, they have no legitimate complaint whatsoever. The residents have been and always will be covered by permit parking.

If it is about interim parking that isn't forever, why doesn't the city just open up on-street parking along this highlighted portion of 11 St SE and then create some turn-in parking stalls in the flat area closest to Airpoint Gallery? Here:
View attachment 451390
There is a staircase to the underpass right there that would give people access, you would just need to create signage to direct people to the "overflow" parking.
I think the City might have plans for that area, and have allocated $16 million for it in the latest 4-year budget.

1674159396323.png

Back