News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The new terminal is looking pretty spiffy. I like how spacious the departures level is looking. I've just come back from 3 weeks away in Europe. I was in the Netherlands, Germany and Austria. Hopefully my next flight to Europe will be from the new terminal. :)

On our way back home, we flew from Vienna to Amsterdam. I've been to Schipol in Amsterdam a number of times and it's about a functional as a major hub airport can be in my experience. Good old YYC will probably never be quite in AMS's league and that's fine, but I thought that there was quite a bit of similarity between Calgary and Vienna. As it is Calgary sees about 3/4 the amount of passenger traffic that Vienna does and a very comparable number of aircraft movements. (Stats for Calgary and Vienna from Wikipedia.) Vienna just opened a new terminal in 2012 and it is very striking and modern. Much like I hope ours to be. The trouble was, that the new terminal, 3, and the old terminal, 1, we very poorly integrated with one another. And it seemed like terminal 1 had been stranded in roughly 1992 in terms of it's design and finishes. It didn't leave a great impression on me given that KLM flew out of terminal 1. (Terminal 3 was almost all Austrian Airlines.)

Which leads me to a few questions. Has anyone heard what the plans for the older half of YYC will be upon the completion of the new terminal? Will they be refurbishing it and how will the flow between the two halves look? And secondarily, has anyone heard whether the two halves of YYC will be getting seperate terminal numbers?

Nice to have three weeks in Europe! I agree about Schipol, I've only used it a couple of times, but it's a really good airport.

The two air terminals should be easy to transfer between the two. The concourse in the existing terminal will simply continue on into the new terminal....it looks like it will be a seamless connection. On the 'checked in' side the two terminals will be connected the same way, but they'll have the shuttle link and moving walkways between the two.

The concourse in the existing terminal will simply continue on into the new terminal....it looks like it will be a seamless connection. On the 'checked in' side the two terminals will be connected the same way...

I think that mostly answers my questions. The new part isn't so much a new terminal as an expansion to the existing one by the sounds of it. That should make it pretty simple. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what if anything they have in store for the older parts of the airport.

The new international celebrated it's opening tonight.

CtuZCaxUMAAI3HL.jpg

Attachments

• CtuZCaxUMAAI3HL.jpg
    CtuZCaxUMAAI3HL.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 603
http://calgaryherald.com/business/l...on-calgary-airport-terminal-ready-for-takeoff

Here's a cool article on the new international terminal. It's apparently the first in a five part series. It talks about how despite the downturn in the economy passenger movements are still up over last year and that YYC is neck and neck with YUL (Montreal) for 3rd in Canada for passenger movements. There's lots of other stuff in there including sme great pictures. I can't wait for my first opportunity to fly from it.

Nice article. I'm anxious to see those YYC link vehicles going back and forth. :cool: I don't have any travel plans this year, so it'll be a while before I get to use it.

Which leads me to a few questions. Has anyone heard what the plans for the older half of YYC will be upon the completion of the new terminal? Will they be refurbishing it and how will the flow between the two halves look? And secondarily, has anyone heard whether the two halves of YYC will be getting seperate terminal numbers?

Same terminal number for both. as far as I know the old terminal is to be re-furbished later, but probably a while later due to how much gthe new terminal cost.

Back