News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I figured I'd update this thread regarding the current situation at YYC.

Today WestJet laid off around 6900 workers or roughly 50% of their work force.

KLM chose to keep direct flight from AMS-YYC 3x weekly and cut service to Edmonton and Vancouver

Runway 08/26 has been closed and is now being used to store aircraft. It (as of this afternoon) is holding a AC 77W, 789, and about 6 WS 737's and a 767.

Domestic flights are now being docked at concourse C and D and if need be B, A if only being used for WestJet Encore flights. and parked aircraft and equipment.

Overall the airport is expecting to lose about 5 million pax traffic this year, at a minimum.

British Airways, Eurowings, Edelwiess, Condor and Air Canada (All international) flights are now suspended until mid April

Hanian has suspended their flights from PEK-YYC indefinitely and that route will most likely be dropped entirely when it is said and done.

Westjet has suspended all Trans-border and International flights, they are only operating domestically right now.

Frontier has suspended service to YYC from what I have heard and United, Delta, Alaska and American are reducing capacity drastically.

Sunwing and Air Transat have suspended all operations. Air Transat is also retiring their A310's Early.

I think that's all right now but I'll keep everyone updated as need be. If anyone has questions let me know.

Apparently KLM chose YYC over YVR and YEG solely for cargo purposes, They're using their planes to primarily transport and focus on cargo rather than passengers to minimize their loses. A lot of airlines are doin this right now, such as Cathay Pacific and their subsidiaries as well as almost every Chinese airline.

Aside from that it looks like YEG will most likely lose KLM as a whole when this is said and done. Which is good for YYC as it will help out International numbers rebound via connecting PAX when things start to go back to normal.

Air Canada has begun flying cargo only flights today from Toronto to Amsterdam, Frankfurt, and London and it looks like they are going to start doing the same from YYC and its other hits in YUL and YVR. They're looking to use Air Canada Express to fly from their hubs and airports with cargo facilities to under served communities that may be cut off.

Via Alex Praglowski on Twitter (@AlexPraglowski)

Runway 08/26 is holding 9 Aircraft at the moment and from the picture it seems Nose Hill Park is the perfect vantage point to view them. 8 WestJet 737's and 1 Air Canada 77W. The AC 787 that was here was moved to Toronto and is soon to be moved again to Mirabel I believe.

IMG_2441.jpg

Beginning on Today at Midnight:

• Concourses A and D will be closed.
  • All domestic departures and arrivals will operate from Concourse B and C.
  • Domestic check-in areas, bag drop and baggage carousel operations will be consolidated.
  • The International Terminal Building will continue to accept international arrivals.
  • All international departures will check-in at the International Terminal building but pre-board screening will take place at Concourse C.
  • Travellers will depart from gates D70/71.
  • Parkade 1 long-term and short-term parking remains open.
  • Parkade 2 long-term is closed, but short-term parking is still available.
The airport expects passenger level to drop by 90% right now and until June, or in other words to about the same they were before Concourse A was even opened. The Airport has laid off about 1/3 of their labour force.

They also expect passenger number to drop by 60% for the year now instead of the previous thought 30%
or to about 7,200,000 PAX this year. Levels not seen since since the early 00's

Down by 90% ? These are really crazy times.
Beginning on Today at Midnight:

• Concourses A and D will be closed.
  • All domestic departures and arrivals will operate from Concourse B and C.
  • Domestic check-in areas, bag drop and baggage carousel operations will be consolidated.
  • The International Terminal Building will continue to accept international arrivals.
  • All international departures will check-in at the International Terminal building but pre-board screening will take place at Concourse C.
  • Travellers will depart from gates D70/71.
  • Parkade 1 long-term and short-term parking remains open.
  • Parkade 2 long-term is closed, but short-term parking is still available.
The airport expects passenger level to drop by 90% right now and until June, or in other words to about the same they were before Concourse A was even opened. The Airport has laid off about 1/3 of their labour force.

They also expect passenger number to drop by 60% for the year now instead of the previous thought 30%
or to about 7,200,000 PAX this year. Levels not seen since since the early 00's

Back