• So so

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Terrible

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
5XKx94o.jpg

I've been meaning to take a picture for a while now. I ride past it on the train on a daily basis. It may not be the world's sexiest project, but it adds a bit of scale to a very flat part of the city. So it isn't such a bad project in my view. I just hope something better comes along for the area at some point too.

On one hand, it looks considerably better than the miserable rendering.

On the other, I sure wish they went with something else than that depressing brown on brown color scheme.

Thankfully developments in the Beltline have been moving away from the 'Brown-gary' theme, with the exception of Royal View East, which actually looks good.

Brown-gary isn't so bad, it's Beige-gary that kills me. Why on earth do we want out buildings to be the same colour as our cars when they're covered in winter mud and salt?

Dark Brown-gary is good ;) Yeah, the beige is a bit much. I like the darker brown brick, like we see on The Royal. I'm also partial to lighter whites and off-whites. Kind of boring, but they are classic colors.

No shortage of beige at all. I look out my window at it all day long unfortunately. I was looking at Nose hill yesterday and was thinking, man it sure got brown in a hurry.

This is the view from my desk from a few minutes ago. Apart from that fancy blue one, it's pretty much monochrome beige and it kills me.

20161018_133542.jpg

And in order to prevent things from getting too off topic, I happened to take a picture of the Manner Village during a striking sunset on Sunday. Appreciation for anything other than the sunset is optional.

20161016_184200.jpg

Attachments

• 20161016_184200.jpg
    20161016_184200.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 299
  • 20161018_133542.jpg
    20161018_133542.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 305
Downtown seems to be getting better with at least some blue and green hues. Back in the late 80's the whole skyline was pretty much all brown and beige or gray. :( Part of this part is the photograph, as it doesn't bring out the colors very well, but still, the downtown was very much a sea of beige\gray\brown.

Calgary 1986
by Surrealplaces, on Flickr

Yeah, I remember those days. The skyline was virtually unchanged through the 90s. The wall of blue glass along 3rd street along with the higher profile individual projects like the Bow & 8th Ave have done a lot to change the complection of the city.

That second shot actually has killer mountain view in it, but man is the city itself bleak. The lack of construction on Coach/Singnal Hill in the background is blowing my mind too. I grew up in Coach Hill, but it was then a new community. Seeing this shot really makes me wish they kept some natural space on it like they did with Nose Hill. Maybe in the future, they can lay waste to the city's worst community and reclaim some of it.

Back