News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Does Edmonton ever make these lists?
The lists are a product sold to companies to calibrate compensation guides for relocating professional staff. Like, in Calgary compensation wouldn't automatically include private school tuition. It would not include a car and driver. It would not include a housing allowance for a gated community. It would not include mandatory 'respite' vacations.

If there was enough demand to generate the guide, then Edmonton would be ranked. That is the real condemnation: being left off the list due to being irrelevant to the economy of trans-national corporations.

Does Edmonton ever make these lists?
078323FB-A767-4AF5-86F1-20337A487C9A.jpeg

Unexpectedly. Calgary is a great city, and many people want to move there. Still, I was surprised to see Calgary at the top of the list of the most livable cities. I lived in Calgary for a few years, then moved to Toronto for work. And now I'm moving from Toronto to Edmonton with the help of https://highstreammoving.com/location/moving-from-toronto-to-edmonton/. Edmonton is a big city like Calgary, but I feel closer to nature and more at peace here.

Last edited:
Unexpectedly. Calgary is a great city and many people are looking to move there. Still, I was surprised to see Calgary at the top of the list of the most livable cities.
These lists are always very subjective. In some ways Vancouver or Toronto are more livable than Calgary, but in other ways Calgary is more livable than those cities. Wellington NZ is 43rd on the list, but a friend of mine from Wellington would tell you it's #1 by a mile.
Calgary overall is kind of in that sweet spot, where it still has decent career opportunities, and higher wages than most cities, but isn't overly expensive. It might not be high on the list for cultural events or night life, but those are harder things to measure than cost of living and wages.

These lists are always very subjective. In some ways Vancouver or Toronto are more livable than Calgary, but in other ways Calgary is more livable than those cities. Wellington NZ is 43rd on the list, but a friend of mine from Wellington would tell you it's #1 by a mile.
Calgary overall is kind of in that sweet spot, where it still has decent career opportunities, and higher wages than most cities, but isn't overly expensive. It might not be high on the list for cultural events or night life, but those are harder things to measure than cost of living and wages.
Cost of living seems to be creeping up in Calgary, especially housing and taxes.

Back