Northland 3.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 5,083
  • northland-village-mall-whole-foods.jpg
    northland-village-mall-whole-foods.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 4,181
  • Nothland 4.jpg
    Nothland 4.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 4,919
They've been pecking away at some construction on the Eastside of the mall, the whole parking lot has been ripped up. I stop by sometimes at the McDonalds next to the mall to grab a coffee on my way to work, next time ill try to grab a pic of it.

Looks like a decent blast of density for the area. I recall there was talk at one time of putting in an LRT station at Northland, I imagine something like this getting built would be a good catalyst.
This one has some life in it! A revised land use is going to CPC next week:

There is an updated concept plan for the mall redevelopment, taking into account the changes in the real estate market that have taken place since the initial redevelopment concept was approved:
View attachment 248500

View attachment 248501
View attachment 248502
View attachment 248503

Yup. Walmart is mainly what keeps it busy. Best Buy and Shoppers’ also, but like Walmart they are mainly accessed directly from the outside. The mall doesn’t have slot going on these days.
So they are pretty much going to demolish everything but the Walmart and start over? It's a pretty dead mall on the best of days so not too surprised.

Primaris owns Sunridge Mall as well, so hopefully in the long run Sunridge gets a similar kind of makeover also, since just like the future Northland LRT station, they can leverage the area into a TOD.

Hopefully this starts a trend for this decade locally, and Marlbourgh Mall as well Westbrook Mall get a much overdue mixed-used transformation. Pretty much any mall with a Walmart is derelict.

I love the full built out concept! The best part, no surface parking lots! Every sq.ft used efficiently next to a Transit stop. Only thing that would make this a 100% perfect TOD would be if they can somehow integrate the station into the Lot. Sort of like Metrotown in Burnaby. I hope concepts like these pick up steam. Malls will need to shift part of their focus towards luring in consistent flow of foot traffic throughout the day/year if they want to continue to survive. Building densely with residential units and office space above the retail is a perfect way to have consistent foot traffic. If nothing else, it'll keep the food courts/shops alive. I hope Sunridge, Marlborough, and Westbrook all pick up on this trend because they are ideal locations for TODS. Right now they are poorly utilized and extremely outdated.

No transit stop yet..... Hopefully one gets put in, I hear it is quite easy and relatively cheap to put one in as the tracks were purposely widened for a future platform at this location, and then a simple stair/elevator connection to the overpass with Northland Drive is all it would take. That said, I an pretty sure there are currently no plans to put any LRT platform in at this location.

No transit stop yet..... Hopefully one gets put in, I hear it is quite easy and relatively cheap to put one in as the tracks were purposely widened for a future platform at this location, and then a simple stair/elevator connection to the overpass with Northland Drive is all it would take. That said, I an pretty sure there are currently no plans to put any LRT platform in at this location.
The city studied infill stations, and this should hopefully provide some impetus, and maybe a 50% capital contribution.

I would bet no plans for a platform as it stands, but if this project went ahead I could see one going in. As Darwin’s mentioned it might involve some developer $$.

Back