Sounds to me like they've largely scrapped their earlier plans. Seems like they've Largely abandoned most of the residential component in favor of a mostly suburban style shopping center 😓
I wonder if residential still isn't in the long term plans, just longer than was planned before? They mention the entire project being completed by 2025, but things can still change is time goes along.

I wonder if residential still isn't in the long term plans, just longer than was planned before? They mention the entire project being completed by 2025, but things can still change is time goes along.
I interpret it as the project is just their phase 1 plans. Since they're doing residential in this phase, I think they would look to do the future phases when they feel it's the right time to do so. Just not all at once.

Last edited:
I interpret it as the project is just their phase 1 plans. Since they're doing residential in this phase, I think they would look to do the future phases when they feel it's the right time to do so. Just not all at once.
Don’t be surprised if the development turns into a Deerfoot City with some apartments around it. Seen a lot of commercial developers that want diversify holdings like this talk about a “horizontal mixed-use” that seems to be traditional, strip mall/big box one storey commercial surrounded by apartments in a very car-oriented development pattern. Horizontal mixed-use being a stand in for segregated land uses that still allow for excessive auto mobility and a pretty inefficient use of the land. Same conversations these folks have about having surface parking being an interim use with limited plans for increased urbanity. seems like the conservatism of the city translated to “density and urbanism”, which ends up in a disappointing half-baked version of a denser mixed-use development.

Don’t be surprised if the development turns into a Deerfoot City with some apartments around it. Seen a lot of commercial developers that want diversify holdings like this talk about a “horizontal mixed-use” that seems to be traditional, strip mall/big box one storey commercial surrounded by apartments in a very car-oriented development pattern. Horizontal mixed-use being a stand in for segregated land uses that still allow for excessive auto mobility and a pretty inefficient use of the land. Same conversations these folks have about having surface parking being an interim use with limited plans for increased urbanity. seems like the conservatism of the city translated to “density and urbanism”, which ends up in a disappointing half-baked version of a denser mixed-use development.
Definitely very possible. But I do feel that the developers will actually have intentions of increasing the residential density in the long run due the leverage of having a LRT station right beside it within the NW Hub area. It's a part of town where it seems money would be left on the table by not doing so as long as the city as a whole continues to grow in population. If Brentwood and Dalhousie have their TODs fully build out, Northland would be right in the middle, and would be wise to follow thru.

P1070275_P1070282exp.jpg
P1070286_P1070296exp.jpg

Back