20220409_084118.jpg
20220409_084305.jpg
20220409_084356.jpg

Haven't seen bracing like that in shoring in some time! Really hope they can keep the old brick house from cracking more, you can see a big one at the bottom right corner of the top left window, and a brick missing from the top of the window below. That was there before this construction started, but it looks worse now.

Haven't seen bracing like that in shoring in some time! Really hope they can keep the old brick house from cracking more, you can see a big one at the bottom right corner of the top left window, and a brick missing from the top of the window below. That was there before this construction started, but it looks worse now.
I was curious about that - I would imagine projects of this scale would need to put some pretty heavy effort into attempting to have no settling/foundation shifting of the adjacent parcels.

I know nothing about excavation and foundations - if there is an issue, how does the owner of the home prove it's the excavation work next door that led to the cracking so they can be compensated? Just be diligent on your before and after photos?

I'm pretty sure the shoring contractor legally has to monitor the buildings around the excavation. There's too much liability for it to be unregulated.

I remember when the ugly blue tower across from Central Memorial Park was under construction, a sink hole opened up in the basement of the building next door and another opened up on 2nd street. There is a very high water table in the Beltline with lots of small underground rivers, shoring can disrupt these and cause problems in the area around it.

I'm pretty sure the shoring contractor legally has to monitor the buildings around the excavation. There's too much liability for it to be unregulated.

I remember when the ugly blue tower across from Central Memorial Park was under construction, a sink hole opened up in the basement of the building next door and another opened up on 2nd street. There is a very high water table in the Beltline with lots of small underground rivers, shoring can disrupt these and cause problems in the area around it.

Too bad the sinkhole didn't swallow up the ugly blue tower.

Seems to be moving pretty quick. Only a week’s difference…

C47EC19C-2EF7-44B1-AF8C-EC2CA9FBAF22.jpeg

Could a development work in the beltline on an interior parcel of similar size but without a back lane?

Back