True, but I feel like if CMLC can do it from scratch once, they can do it again. They control the three largest underdeveloped regions in the inner city: EV, WV, and Victoria Park.

Here’s hoping for that! At an arms length from the city, they have the lattitude to bust through red tape and plan with real vision. St Patrick’s island would have a real difficult time being approved otherwise.

I love this design. I don't know how to describe it, except that it's different. That fact they are making it a multi-use building is great, but it's funky dilly even as a parkade on its own.

Is there any chance the name Platform hints to a future train station...maybe high speed rail?
Kiddy corner to the provincial rail land and LRT no?

I definitely wouldn't count on it. The HSR station was envisioned for the area along the tracks between 5 and 6 streets se.

Regardless of its height, this is a fairly significant project for the East Village, and Calgary as a whole. This is due to both its design based around future conversion to residential or office space, and the innovation/incubation space.

The building will cost approximately $80 million and will house 250 000 ft2, of which around 50 000 ft2 will be office space for the Platform Innovation Hub, with the remaining 200 000 ft2 being a Calgary Parking Authority garage with over 500 parking stalls. The project is slated to begin construction in 2019.

fullsizeoutput_7cd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7c9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7cb.jpeg

Project website can be found here: https://www.platformcalgary.com

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_7cd.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_7cd.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 890
  • fullsizeoutput_7c9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_7c9.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 784
  • fullsizeoutput_7cb.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_7cb.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 722
Very interesting. I like the design and I think the idea of having more than a parkade is a great idea. I hope they keep in mind the area is home to a large transient population and lots of them like warm, secluded places to do drugs, so security here should be a major part of the design.

The two have nothing to do with one another. The long term plan is to redevelop the land that the 3 Street SE parkade currently sits on, but that is outside of the scope of this project.

I’m aware they are not directly linked, just wondering if they would remove it right away as it seems redundant to have that much parking in the area when it won’t all be needed. Either way another massive project for the East Village!

The project website says the contact is Ken Bautista, a bit of background on him: https://kenbautista.com/

I was initially a bit unsure about the proposal as it doesn't interface with anything in the surrounding area, it is a bit of a silo. I think there is some work to be done on that still. But given the location, this is a fantastic project. Full steam ahead!

Hi All,
When I MOVED to Calgary 40 Yrs Ago (April 78) the Whole East End was a Decaying Waste Land. Its Now 2018 and YES I have Seen a LOT of Changes in Both the East End, Downtown, Beltline, and the Victoria Park/Stampede Areas. Still Feel there are More Changes on the Way. Give It 5 to 7 Years and
It will B a Totally Different City.
Tnx,
Operater.

I’m aware they are not directly linked, just wondering if they would remove it right away as it seems redundant to have that much parking in the area when it won’t all be needed. Either way another massive project for the East Village!

Definitely. I would be surprised if parking demand in EV is sufficient to suport this structure at this point in time. The area is still mostly surface lots and given the slow down in construction, likely will be for a while. It is a great project, but likely at least 5 years too early.

Hi Group,
I Remember there used to B a Gas Station at I believe was at 8/4 S E. What ever happened to that Location of Hand,

Tnx,
Operater.

Back