I walked the entirety of Calgary inner city to get a feel for each area. EV is problematic. It is cut up by busy roads and not pedestrian friendly for an area trying to be an entertainment district. Those roads aren’t going to move, so I’m not sure how that is going to work.

EV feels like an area at a tipping point. It has key new buildings in a sea of derelict buildings and parking lots/industrial lots. Platform is way above a typical parkade, and definitely better than the nothing there before. It’s hard to say with the economic downturn if EV will succeed in what it’s trying to become.

I walked the entirety of Calgary inner city to get a feel for each area. EV is problematic. It is cut up by busy roads and not pedestrian friendly for an area trying to be an entertainment district. Those roads aren’t going to move, so I’m not sure how that is going to work.

Are you referring to East Victoria Park - because East Village (EV) is not intended as an entertainment district - East Victoria Park is.

I don’t even know what to think about the East Victoria part. Vast tracts of land covered in parking lots that are not utilized most of the year. Derelict areas.

EV feels like an area at a tipping point. It has key new buildings in a sea of derelict buildings and parking lots/industrial lots. Platform is way above a typical parkade, and definitely better than the nothing there before. It’s hard to say with the economic downturn if EV will succeed in what it’s trying to become.
I look at EV as already having succeeded for the most part. It still has room for improvement of course, but the area has managed to turn around to point where it can sustain itself as an area of activity. Once the retail is open in M2 and 5th and Third, I think the area will be far enough along that it'll be past the tipping point. All it really needs is one of those empty lots in the centre area to get developed and it'll be solid.

Yeah, I'm not sure what areas of the EV you're talking about that are "cut up by busy roads", but that of course isn't the case. It's the downtown core of a metro of 1.6 million people. The roads are as calm as they could possibly be ? The EV is a huge success so far, and I'm really looking forward to the proposal releases for the final undeveloped blocks in June/July.

Yeah, I'm not sure what areas of the EV you're talking about that are "cut up by busy roads", but that of course isn't the case. It's the downtown core of a metro of 1.6 million people. The roads are as calm as they could possibly be ? The EV is a huge success so far, and I'm really looking forward to the proposal releases for the final undeveloped blocks in June/July.
I walked to the new library and further past it. I can’t say the streets encouraged me to stay.

I have a hunch Sky of Blue's referring to the 4th and 5th street fly-overs, and possibly 9th. I don't usually think of the flyovers as part of EV, but I could see for a newcomer how they would feel like they are cutting EV off from other parts. I don't find 9th ave very busy, except a rush hour, and cars sometimes race through the 4th street intersection when the light's green, other than that I don't find EV itself to have much traffic.

I forget about the 4th and 5th ave flyovers sometimes, but yeah, they do cut into the fabric of the East Village. Thankfully the river walk path area is consistent all the way through.

I don’t even know what to think about the East Victoria part. Vast tracts of land covered in parking lots that are not utilized most of the year. Derelict areas.
The parking to the east of that park is the old Enoch Sales House land that was offered to the Flames as part of the arena deal. CSEC has first right of refusal on acquiring the land prior to the opening of the new arena. A lot of the old warehouse buildings north of 11th Ave in East Village are historical in nature and the city still hasn't decided on what to do with them. The most recent route change for the Green line thru the East village was decided on because the city would have had to buy some of the old warehouse buildings and demolish them to make way for the S curve under the properties which was considered more expensive than simply doing cut-and-cover along 11th ave.

I have a hunch Sky of Blue's referring to the 4th and 5th street fly-overs, and possibly 9th. I don't usually think of the flyovers as part of EV, but I could see for a newcomer how they would feel like they are cutting EV off from other parts. I don't find 9th ave very busy, except a rush hour, and cars sometimes race through the 4th street intersection when the light's green, other than that I don't find EV itself to have much traffic.
As much as I don't like the flyover routes, I'm forever thankful we didn't get the downtown penetrator.

Yep thank god.

The Downtown Penetrator:
Bgn4ZFyCUAEHeDr.jpg

Back