Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
1619464204305.png

They're targeting early 2022 as the occupation date? That is quite ambitious. The interior has been gutted already, so that may be the head start setting them a good deal ahead.

Ultimately I'd like to see conversions in a mix of Class C, B and A (if possible) It's nice to have smaller old stock office space around for smaller businesses, in the event the Class A or B space ever begins to fill up. The ultimate home run in a conversion would be to do Nexen or a couple of the Bow Valley Square towers

BVS would be great as half office, half residential, with a small grocery store built in. Too bad the city couldn't work with the feds and/or province and create some sort of pilot project that comes with grant money.

Ultimately I'd like to see conversions in a mix of Class C, B and A (if possible) It's nice to have smaller old stock office space around for smaller businesses, in the event the Class A or B space ever begins to fill up. The ultimate home run in a conversion would be to do Nexen or a couple of the Bow Valley Square towers

BVS would be great as half office, half residential, with a small grocery store built in. Too bad the city couldn't work with the feds and/or province and create some sort of pilot project that comes with grant money.
Yeah @Surrealplaces, I wonder what will happen with the old Nexen building. The owners have a huge legal battle on their hands with the asbestos in the walls of that building. However, I could totally see the owners refurbishing it and making it once again a very appealing class A or AA office tower. Especially since its beautiful over there again after they did that multi-million dollar renovation of Century Gardens.

Yeah @Surrealplaces, I wonder what will happen with the old Nexen building. The owners have a huge legal battle on their hands with the asbestos in the walls of that building. However, I could totally see the owners refurbishing it and making it once again a very appealing class A or AA office tower. Especially since its beautiful over there again after they did that multi-million dollar renovation of Century Gardens.
I think the larger buildings with larger floor-plates will probably stay as office space for now, even if half empty. My understanding is that office conversion really only work well with smaller floor-plates.

Bow Valley Square and the Elveden Centre are probably the best floorplates in the city for residential conversion as far as relatively major complexes go. The Fina Building would be awesome as residential too, especially with it on 8th.

Downtown buildings that seem to have the correct floorplate size and service core tp convert to residential at a glance might be:
-Fina Building
-Taylor Building
-Elveden Centre
-Western Union Building
-630 8 Ave SW
-505 8 Ave SW
-Edinburgh Place
-United Place
-744 4 Ave SW
-615 3 Ave SW
-639 5 Ave SW
-630 6 Ave SW
-600 6 Ave SW
-Alberta Land Titles Office
-Five Ten Fifth
-435 4 Ave SW
-Telephone Building
-The Grand Building
-Andrew Davison Building
-North West Travellers Building
-Asia Pacific Centre
-Burns Building
-205 9 Ave SE
-Hudsons Bay Building
-209 8 Ave SW
-Grain Exchange Building

Am i missing any?
I think if we could knock out some residential conversions of these smaller B & C Class buildings and heritage buildings I have above that seem reasonable for conversion, that could be enough to start coming close to balancing the downtown market in the long term.

Last edited:
Man. Turning the Grain Exchange and top 3 floors of both the Hudson’s Bay and Lougheed buildings, and the top 5 floors of the Lancaster building into residential… 🥵🤤🤤🤤

yes.

Hudson Bay Building? Wouldn't it's massive floor plates make it one of the more difficult to convert into residential?
Ya that one is probably too big, but it is such a nice heritage building and after having been the Hudson Bay building they converted to condos in Victoria I just added it because I want it to happen haha.

Back