Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
I'm pretty bullish on the future of Sunalta, I suspect in the not too distant future 10th Ave will have quite a few towers and once the city gets around to the main street upgrades on 10th I really this will become a really sweet little spot!
I'm feeling bullish on pretty much anything inner city these days. Two different people I work with are both looking into moving to an inner city neighborhood, moving from Legacy and Airdrie, the main driver being cost. Both have to come into downtown and pay 20 some odd bucks for parking, and quite a bit for gas to boot. I don't know how much it costs them for gas, but given they drive SUVs, I wouldn't be surprised if it was $10 per day.
Not to mention the time commuting. A few of us ride our bikes into work, and we're all between 10-20 minutes commute, with no gas or parking costs. I can't help but wonder how many others are looking at this scenario.

CBBarnett

Member Bio
Reaction score
Tailgunner has great beer, haven't been to the brewery yet. Theres also another brewery opening on 14th called Best of Kin. These two breweries are going to be busy once all these developments are done!
Also Two House Brewery that's being built at the old Mikey's location (10 Ave & 18 Street SW, across from Sentry Box). I think they were forced to move from their old building where this tower is going up but didn't go far, just down the street.

DougB

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Perth
I wonder if towers further south in Sunalta (ex. 12th Ave) would unleash NIMBY opposition from the residents of Scarboro? Regardless, Sunalta has plenty of opportunities to fill in vacant lots, replace old single family housing and replace low quality walkup apartments built between the 50's and early 80's

haltcatchfire

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
I wonder if towers further south in Sunalta (ex. 12th Ave) would unleash NIMBY opposition from the residents of Scarboro? Regardless, Sunalta has plenty of opportunities to fill in vacant lots, replace old single family housing and replace low quality walkup apartments built between the 50's and early 80's

11th and 12th would be nicer if it was a 6-8 storey streetwall all the way, and 10th was towers. Best thing about the orientation of this neighbourhood is there’s no shadowing issues on the single family blocks.

Zoom

Member Bio
Reaction score
Also Two House Brewery that's being built at the old Mikey's location (10 Ave & 18 Street SW, across from Sentry Box). I think they were forced to move from their old building where this tower is going up but didn't go far, just down the street.
Any idea when Two House will be reopening?

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
When Two House opens, it would be a good starting point for a bike pub crawl using the 12th ave cycle track, for places on the track or within a block.

Two House --> Pig and Duke or Mikey's --> Hudson's, Last Best, Leopold's or Central Taps. could extend over to Inglewood, to Highline Ol' Beautiful, Cold Garden

Alex_YYC

Member Bio
Reaction score
123CED22-0D5C-4A7E-9012-99AB0A273A4E.jpeg
ADB5F838-B7ED-4D52-829F-139EF67437B1.jpeg