Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 4 So So

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • 5 Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 Terrible

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
I know they are still testing them and will fix the ones that have issues, but still pessimistic that they will all function as intended. Bad track record in this city.

Integral? I wouldn’t agree. They were as integral as the Arriva one was (barely/not at all). They were two blue LED strips and we don’t know the reason they were turned off. Malfunction is just as likely as neighbouring towers asking they be shut off.

This is a piece of public art designed by a world famous artist in collaboration with a world famous architect, implemented by a renown developer. We’re fine.

101947592_247751772994039_6740860161040997160_n.jpg

www.instagram.com/p/CAyYfK6HGiL/

Wowzers. Well now my photo is gonna look like shit haha.

Looks like some of the lights that were out yesterday are fixed tonight.

B87C10AB-BA86-4ACC-BE2A-48CF77A1E423.jpeg

Integral? I wouldn’t agree. They were as integral as the Arriva one was (barely/not at all). They were two blue LED strips and we don’t know the reason they were turned off. Malfunction is just as likely as neighbouring towers asking they be shut off.

This is a piece of public art designed by a world famous artist in collaboration with a world famous architect, implemented by a renown developer. We’re fine.
There are 2 spires on the south facade that run the entire height of the building, of course the LEDs are integral. We're fine on this one for now, but we will see how long that lasts. LEDs have a bad track record in the city and Douglas Coupland isn't going to change that.

What I'm seeing on Telus Sky does look pretty damn fantastic and I hope Westbank doesn't cheap out on the maintenance bill!

Ingels manages one of the busiest firms in the world. Coupland is one of the busiest artists in Canada. They both will move on if they haven't done so already as nice as it is to think Telus Sky is more than a notch on their respective bedposts. Gillespie's Westbank quality is actually spotty. There's only one thing that makes this integral and that is if the public art contribution was directly tied to the DP's approval. Cities have sued owners over this. I cannot say if they were successful. Whatever happens in ten years, the architecture stands out on its own.

Public art used to be tied to a DP as a sort of bonus density, not sure if that's the case at all. These LEDs will be lit up for the first few years, then for special occasions, then not really at all I bet.

Yikes. I never realized so many in this city have Edmonton levels of pessimism even when it comes to our best new projects. Wowzers.

I’m sitting out on my balcony watching the display. It seems to be running through many different Patterns/themes and colours. Very cool.

Back