Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 4 So So

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • 5 Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 Terrible

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
Yikes. I never realized so many in this city have Edmonton levels of pessimism even when it comes to our best new projects. Wowzers.
Just being realistic, LEDs have a very poor track record here and these will likely be even more difficult to replace given how they are part of the window frame. Absolutely loving what I'm seeing here, can't wait to sit on a patio on Stephen Ave and watch the show!

There are simpler installations on more expensive real estate with larger maintenance budget that have let their LED installations go dark.

Yikes. I never realized so many in this city have Edmonton levels of pessimism even when it comes to our best new projects. Wowzers.
Exactly! Im out here thinking, such a beautiful building and beautiful public art display, this is going to become symbolic of Calgary for years if not decades to come. Yeah, Calgary in itself isn't close to being the greatest city in the world for tourism but if I was watching a Tourism Alberta ad vid with the Telus Sky flashing these gorgeous LEDs, I would most definielty make the stop in Calgary instead of skipping it and going straight to Banff! It would be utterly stupid for them to quit on the LEDs if the costs are within reasonable amounts.

Lol some of y'all are just living to complain. What a phenomenal addition to the city. I hope that future art installations for big public projects are even 1/2 as good as this one.

We could be looking at a giant blue steel hoop. Instead we are complaining about one or two missing LEDs. Did y'all not see that f'in calgary flames logo video? This shit is going to be amazing.

Agreed. I think it's totally amazing, and look forward to seeing it once in full production. I do worry about the LED technology, hopefully I'm worrying for nothing, but this is something really amazing for the city. Just hoping we don't have the same issues as past installations.

On an optimistic note, the company who did the LEDs for Calgary City Centre (SACO) is the same company doing Telus Sky, and Calgary City Centre has been solid for the most part.

Lol some of y'all are just living to complain. What a phenomenal addition to the city. I hope that future art installations for big public projects are even 1/2 as good as this one.

We could be looking at a giant blue steel hoop. Instead we are complaining about one or two missing LEDs. Did y'all not see that f'in calgary flames logo video? This shit is going to be amazing.

I was just going to mention City Centre. Other than the first winter, the LEDs on that sucker have been going hard for 3 solid years, and they’re basically a dynamic video display. We’ll be fine.

I get your point. Just enjoy it and let the future play out.

No one was complaining about the installation. We only raised concerns that Telus Sky is a privately owned tower and the LED installation is equally private if not tied to the DP. Any decision to preform costly repairs will be mostly based on the value add to income. This concern was only raised by the direction of this thread. Your use of public is an example. The big names attached to this project makes this nopt any different from every other real estate holding. It's also mixed use office and hotel. It's not an attraction. How much value add is there?

Agreed, like a slice of Shanghai landed on Centre St.!

Is there a time when the lights usually come on? will be in the area for some drinks tomorrow evening, hoping to have a good vantage!

A22CB697-4D33-4EC2-AB3A-138A3186A314.jpeg

Is there a time when the lights usually come on? will be in the area for some drinks tomorrow evening, hoping to have a good vantage!
I've seen them on as early as ~8:30 pm but it's the worst possible time of year with sunset at 10 pm.

If only you knew how many of the lights I Photoshop to make it look like they're not already badly failing...

I'm not complaining about anything, only realizing that the lights will fail at a rate faster than they will replace them. It's just the way these things go.

IMHO, LED lights are like any other electronic technology....or anything other technology period. One must expect and prepare for an eventual failure of some kind.If they don't fail then great, but if they do, have the LEDs designed so they can be replaced easily. Treat them almost like you would any other light bulb - with the expectation they'll need to be replaced, and design as such.

Someone on SSP once mentioned LED issues at Arriva, and how difficult it was to replace the faulty LEDs, to the point that they left them be.

It's a lot of work to access and replace the LEDs and the parts aren't cheap. How many buildings with LED light features are always dark now? I can think of Jamieson, Centennial Place (do see these on rarely), Arriva, The one on 4Ave and 8st (Solara I think it's called), there's another one I'm sure. Anyway it's a great idea to do it, the maintenance is where it falls short. It looks great when they are lit up, but what's the incentive for the building managers to spend money keeping them lit and running?

Back