Thanks all. There's thoughtful critique on the forum and unfortunately it's common for only the squeaky wheels who cry bloody murder about densification that let their feelings be known. It's time the conversation around design take more prominence within the City decision making process. Let's see where this one goes......

Looks like there are new renderings for this one:
https://www.indevelopments.com/theblock/
The+Block+High+Res+2-edited.jpg

The+Block+Rendering+7-edited.jpg

Oh, I mean, that's certainly better than the version in the OP. I can settle for this.

I think I prefer the previous version even though both can hit the bin. They removed windows from the north and south sides and put them on the west. I don't like how the building is now fully setback from the main floor retail. It was better with the corners fully flush to the street. The area of ground level glazing is also reduced.

The building feels less substantial now and reminds me of some void of design apartment buildings that only get attention over the years by the ground level retail tenants. The only thing keeping this from being a generic stucco slab building is those yellow panels on the balconies.

That north side :eek:. (I'm getting good use of this guy lately)

I don't mind the massing on the new design, but am wary of the brick/stone at main level. Is it going to be some sort of fake stone paneling? If it was a flat modern gray brick I'd be fine with it....that and change the yellow to brown or black.

Oh man that's disappointing. Given what was originally proposed for the lot and even the revised design shown in the OP, this new design has me wishing the closed down restaurant building stayed long enough for a new developer to buy the lot. 4th Street is one of Calgary's premiere streets. I'd maybe be okay with the design if we were seeing it along Centre St north of 16th because those communities just need street facing retail to hit a critical mass but on 4th Street? Sorry but send this one to the dumpster....

This city NEEDS a better review committee with better standards on what is allowed to be built in prominent locations like this. If stucco is slated for the white and yellow components, this will turn out really bad. With the popularity and traffic, 4th street has so much potential to be a hub for high quality, unique developments. Gets watered down meh time after time. The intersection of 4th and 17th is one of a handful of locations that the city should have circled with a thick red marker to ensure it gets special focus - the embarrassing suburban retail garbage that was recently allowed to be built on the NW corner shows how low the bar is.

I don 't actually mind the new design, but I agree with @luk_o, the city should scrutinise a little more, developments that are on main corridors like 4th street. Looking at The Kensington and Lido, those are more of what we should be looking at. The Kensington is a good example, it's almost exactgly the same building as this, but has different materials and comes off much better.

I don 't actually mind the new design, but I agree with @luk_o, the city should scrutinise a little more, developments that are on main corridors like 4th street. Looking at The Kensington and Lido, those are more of what we should be looking at. The Kensington is a good example, it's almost exactgly the same building as this, but has different materials and comes off much better.
Good point about The Kensington, it is very much the same building in scale and massing, and retail bay design, but a much different result using different material.

I'm blinded by desperation, I've wanted something developed their for so long that anything will do. lol.

This, exactly.

Back