I agree with you guys on those points, but I don't know if it's best practice to design a newly built neighborhood to be a student ghetto. The best student ghettos seem to evolve in an inexpensive neighborhoods near the schools. It's unfortunate that the UofC is not surrounded by neighborhoods that are inexpensive. Who knows, maybe the Brentwood TOD will move in that direction, it's a more natural progression to become a student ghetto.

Agreed. We as a city are incredibly hostile to student and young adult culture, built-form playing a leading role. I hope we develop a university ghetto, it's a giant gap in Calgary's "big metropolitan city" sales pitch. University and student culture is a key supply of the arts, nightlife and indie scene; all things that Calgary is often criticised by outsiders for being lacking. A big city has to be for everyone to be a good place, students included.

Relatedly: 20-24 is the only working aged demographic segment Calgary has long under-performed (on a per-capita basis) every other major cities, despite all our wealth and booms (which boosted all other working age categories).

Hopefully the inner-northwest continues the evolution with projects like this. More affordable, transit-adjacency/oriented and near post-secondary housing is something we could always use more of.
Student ghettos are incredibly vibrant neighborhoods. I would love for Calgary to develop one. Students stay out late. They frequent businesses. They have active social lives. They are great for neighborhoods. It's unfortunate that U of C is surrounded by an urban form that is totally hostile to the development of a student ghetto.

A thread for that Dalhousie proposal.

dells4.jpg
dells3.jpg
dells2.jpg
dells1.jpg

Can a moderator merge this thread with the existing one?

So is this one underway? Or is that just soil testing?

Back