The entire sidewalk has been fenced off except for 17th. I'm wondering if they're going to get going on this one?
20200220_134701.jpg

Last edited:
If they have shut down the sidewalk, it is definitely going ahead. I can't stand how this city allows developers to ruin pedestrian zones for years on end though. No other major city allows that. How hard would it be to put a walkthrough sea-can to allow pedestrian movement and just put the construction office on top of that? It should be a legislated requirement for all multi-family developments impacting the pedestrian realm.

If they have shut down the sidewalk, it is definitely going ahead. I can't stand how this city allows developers to ruin pedestrian zones for years on end though. No other major city allows that. How hard would it be to put a walkthrough sea-can to allow pedestrian movement and just put the construction office on top of that? It should be a legislated requirement for all multi-family developments impacting the pedestrian realm.
I might swing by and take a photo on my way home. This is worth a 311 ticket from a few of us to put the pressure on for a better solution.

If that's the case, I can live with the sidewalk blocked off for a while while construction gets going. If they have closed it off and are going to let it sit for ages, someone needs to slap those clowns with a fine.

Despite our sh*t bylaws which favour developers over... our entire civic population? I don't believe that the city government would allow construction fencing to block the sidewalk without a relatively clear assurance that construction is imminent.

The development is entering its construction phase. The General Contractor has been selected and most sub-contracts are in place.

A portion of the sidewalk has been closed because the proposed design will incorporate an enhanced pedestrian area. This enlarged pedestrian platform will accommodate retail tenants on the ground floor, and encourage movement through the area. The existing pedestrian infrastructure will be demolished. It cannot be preserved for temporary access due to the excavation procedures proposed.

Fair enough.

Pretty sure developers have to pay to close a sidewalk. We should definitely all call 311 though, it's not OK to close a sidewalk there with nothing happening.

Back