Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
A thread for the new project at 10th street and Gladstone Road. It's 114 units, with 6 CRU's on main level. One CRU is reserved for a financial institution. Another CRU is set aside for restaurant use with outdoor usage. Materials are glass and metal paneling and some masonry as well as some fiber cement board.

My own personal opinion is that it looks good, and reminds me of Lido. It's how St John's on 10th should have been done.

Theodore-March22-2019.jpg

Image2.jpg

Glad to see that bank go, though it’ll probably end up in the new development if there is space set aside for a financial institution. The scale is good and shouldn’t cause too many issues, I think that location could’ve handled A couple more stories but 10 stories is good.

Looking forward to seeing the rendering.

With 6 CRU's I'm fine with RBC keeping one of the spaces. At least it won't be like that new development that went in on Kensington road all those years ago that was just a bank and blank walls. The worst.

With 6 CRU's I'm fine with RBC keeping one of the spaces. At least it won't be like that new development that went in on Kensington road all those years ago that was just a bank and blank walls. The worst.
Speaking of which, it looks like they (HSBC) are now leasing out half of the space.

Sounds good but, can't comment further without renderings. Any chance?

This seems to be a similar scale project currently Graywood has in TO. Larger site on St Clair, but developers often template a project off of existing applications to save money on design. Hopefully it looks or feels like this;
scout-website-june-2018-jpg.149060

Unfortunately brick is often wishful thinking here due to the higher cost.

Last edited:
That one does a better job at integrating the ground floor retail although the one in Calgary rates pretty high by Calgary standards. Otherwise, I find it oppressive. It's too long. Takes up too much streetfront and the low retail floor height only emphasizes the banality of 300 plus metres of sameness.

This project looks good, I get the east coast vibe from it, like something you'd see in DC or Toronto. I didn't realize the site was that big, this project is really going to dominate the area.

Yup, and the final piece of that puzzle is the Safeway site, of which there has been some initial plans and ideas about I believe.

The Safeway site is huge.

Also, Osteria and 10th street Landing pub are prime candidates for redevelopment.

Also the triangle site. The city had mentioned they were looking at something around 10 floors and 150 units for that parcel. IMO Kensington is how density should be done. Not necessarily for every part of the city, but as a general template for inner city. I guess Inglewood and Mission are also of a similar style. A retail corridor with development on both sides of the road. Bridgeland is also a good example, if they can just get the north side of 1st Ave built up more.

The Safeway site is huge.

Also, Osteria and 10th street Landing pub are prime candidates for redevelopment.

Such a shame that the Osteria proposal never moved forward (Sturgess designed I believe). Don't look for anything to happen at the 10th Street Landing site soon, as it is closed and the Kensington Liquor store there is moving into the entire space.

Back