Such a shame that the Osteria proposal never moved forward (Sturgess designed I believe). Don't look for anything to happen at the 10th Street Landing site soon, as it is closed and the Kensington Liquor store there is moving into the entire space.
I forgot about that one. The one that was put on hold by the Terrigno's because the NDP government was elected lol.

While I would like to see the Osteria site redeveloped, I can't say I was in favour of what was proposed. I found this image from a Calgary herald article about the project when it was voted down.

sturgess-architectures-design-for-a-10-storey-condo-tower-h.jpg

Attachments

• sturgess-architectures-design-for-a-10-storey-condo-tower-h.jpg
    sturgess-architectures-design-for-a-10-storey-condo-tower-h.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,721
Also the triangle site. The city had mentioned they were looking at something around 10 floors and 150 units for that parcel. IMO Kensington is how density should be done. Not necessarily for every part of the city, but as a general template for inner city. I guess Inglewood and Mission are also of a similar style. A retail corridor with development on both sides of the road. Bridgeland is also a good example, if they can just get the north side of 1st Ave built up more.
Kensington is probably the perfect example of an urban village. It could use a bit more density here and there, but really it's a great example of how to build the inner city. Beltline is also a good example given that all cities could use one or two neighborhoods of extra high density, and the Beltline's adjacency to the CBD makes it the right place for that. Bridgeland has so much potential, but needs a proper grocery store.

While I would like to see the Osteria site redeveloped, I can't say I was in favour of what was proposed. I found this image from a Calgary herald article about the project when it was voted down.

View attachment 160743

I was good with it, totally out there and probably impractical. But hey if they got it built it would become a landmark (for better or worse).

The Safeway site is huge.

Also, Osteria and 10th street Landing pub are prime candidates for redevelopment.
Both good sites. After the next few projects "finish" 10th Street, I wonder where that density will go next? The inner NW below the escarpment is likely to remain attractive for denser development and living, perhaps 19th Street NW will evolve into the next 10th Street? Maybe we will see a bit more action along Kensington Road?

With this one and the one on the church site adjacent, it's another sizable cluster of density being proposed, not dissimilar to the cluster at 10th and 2nd Ave. Exciting times for the area!

The Safeway site being redeveloped?! I haven't heard anything of this. Considering nothing has happened with either the Mission or Beltline Safeways I don't think anyone should be holding their breath. But I'd love to be proven wrong.
As for where the next round of density comes, isn't the Grace hospital site planned for 20 ish stories?

Both good sites. After the next few projects "finish" 10th Street, I wonder where that density will go next? The inner NW below the escarpment is likely to remain attractive for denser development and living, perhaps 19th Street NW will evolve into the next 10th Street? Maybe we will see a bit more action along Kensington Road?

With this one and the one on the church site adjacent, it's another sizable cluster of density being proposed, not dissimilar to the cluster at 10th and 2nd Ave. Exciting times for the area!

There’s a long list of active/semi-active/high potential sites for mid-rise development in Kensington. This would be my prediction in terms of the next 10 to be completed:
1. Anthem Memorial Dr
2. Truman Archer
3. Minto Annex
4. Graywood Theodore
5. Kensington Manor rebuild
6. Battistella Lifesport/Baptist Church site
7. Eisenberg commercial
8. Triangle site
9. Five Eleven Riley Park
10. Russell RED Glo - the remix

Osteria, Safeway, and the liquor store redevelopments are probably further down the track, along with more redevelopment on Memorial around Truman Archer, and additional TOD lots north of 4 Ave around the train station.

There’s a long list of active/semi-active/high potential sites for mid-rise development in Kensington. This would be my prediction in terms of the next 10 to be completed:
1. Anthem Memorial Dr
2. Truman Archer
3. Minto Annex
4. Graywood Theodore
5. Kensington Manor rebuild
6. Battistella Lifesport/Baptist Church site
7. Eisenberg commercial
8. Triangle site
9. Five Eleven Riley Park
10. Russell RED Glo - the remix

Osteria, Safeway, and the liquor store redevelopments are probably further down the track, along with more redevelopment on Memorial around Truman Archer, and additional TOD lots north of 4 Ave around the train station.
What is Five Eleven Riley Park?

I forgot about that one. The one that was put on hold by the Terrigno's because the NDP government was elected lol.
It was refused (the land use and ARP amendment) by Council because it was calling for an additional 2 stories in density from what the recently approved ARP called for. The exact reasons Council wouldn't bend on this one when it has bent on others, well....
https://calgaryherald.com/news/loca...r-plan-weeks-after-alleged-threats-at-hearing

Nobody thinks the Shell station on 10th Street at 5th Avenue will redevelop?

It was refused (the land use and ARP amendment) by Council because it was calling for an additional 2 stories in density from what the recently approved ARP called for. The exact reasons Council wouldn't bend on this one when it has bent on others, well....
https://calgaryherald.com/news/loca...r-plan-weeks-after-alleged-threats-at-hearing

Nobody thinks the Shell station on 10th Street at 5th Avenue will redevelop?
I think eventually the Shell Station will go. Maybe the remediation cost is holding it back for now?

Last edited:
I think eventually the Shell Station will go. Maybe the remediation cost is holding it back for now?

I doubt it will be in this wave.

As I understand it, well located inner city gas stations throw off pretty good cash flow, because you can sell gas above cost to time-sensitive commuters, unlike a suburban station where there are 4 on a corner and the gas is a loss leader that draws traffic to the c-store. In addition, it’s essentially impossible to permit a new inner city station, so every time someone else sells out, every other station goes up in value as competition goes down. Then there is the remediation cost which could be very significant as you mention.

The Shell station on 10th street is usually priced right there with the suburban locations. I've even seen it cheaper than others this year.

Back