8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Urban Outdoorsman

Member Bio
Reaction score
Came across this article and wanted to discuss, figured a dedicated thread was appropriate.

CTV News Calgary: Phase one of the Calgary to Canmore Trail unveiled.

Website for phase 1: https://www.namethetrail.com/

Basically from what I can gather the plan is to create a multi-use trail going from Calgary to Canmore, with phase 1 being Calgary-Cochrane.

I'm actually super stoked on this proposal, the idea of being able to cycle from Calgary to Canmore and by extension Banff is super cool. Especially since it's all dedicated pathway that doesn't just follow the highway. They're currently in the fundraising phase, but I can imagine it doing pretty well, there's no shortage of well off cycling enthusiasts in this city. The area really needs something like this, the number of death defying cyclists who brave the highways surrounding Calgary never ceases to amaze me. Hopefully someday they could do something similar and have a trail linking Calgary to Bragg Creek, maybe even including a connection following highway 22 connecting Bragg Creek and Cochrane 🤤

Our very own P'tit Train du Nord near Montreal! https://ptittraindunord.com/en/

Would be an excellent amenity to connect to the mountains in a safe way. With the way e-bike are improving it's pretty easy to imagine an ever increasing user base that would be capable of that kind of distance, particularly if it's paved for higher speeds.

Here's the map for it. Not detailed, but gives an idea of where it'll run.

1638488425472.png

They mention that much of the pathway exists already. I didn't even know these pathway sections existed, and they look nice, here are a few links to some google views of the pathway sections.

Section, and other section here, another section closer to Cochrane
The sections through Glenbow Ranch opened in summer 2011. The trail deadends near the future Haskayne Park on the Calgary side. Hopefully development of Rockland Park will accelerate providing access to Haskayne Park

The sections through Glenbow Ranch opened in summer 2011. The trail deadends near the future Haskayne Park on the Calgary side. Hopefully development of Rockland Park will accelerate providing access to Haskayne Park
I remember the trail just ending in the middle of a field. Someone told me the adjacent landowner wouldn't give permission for the path to go through his land, but maybe that has changed. Once Calgary connects through to Cochrane, the next phase should be out to Ghost Lake.

It could be a while before it makes it out to Canmore, but yeah, I could see it being a tourist draw, especially for cyclists. If they have points along the way where cars can park and unload bikes, it would get used a fair bit, especially out near Exshaw area where's it would be a doable trip to Canmore for a lot of cyclists.

Just having it go to Cochrane will be great though.

Back