20200505_162705_HDR.jpg

A pre-application (early concept) is going to CPC this week for the parcel on the west side of Bowfort Road / Canada Olympic Drive, south of the Trans Canada. This is directly west of the commercial complex that has been under construction for forever....
It is interesting to see a pre-app going to CPC, but I think the ASP for this development is pretty prescriptive, with all of these developments needing to go to CPC. Anyway, here is a link to the materials:
Deveraux Developments (same group doing the multi-res in the Northland Village Mall redevelopment) are the ones behind the project on this parcel by the looks of it. Here are the early concept images:

1625598709398.png

1625598728875.png

The plans for the DP project in the above post have been uploaded, here is a couple of renderings. Pretty typical suburban townhome project, however no surface parking lots, so that is a plus:
1644975266431.png

1644975284541.png

Site plan is here:
1644975318875.png

Another site plan in the drawing package shows what the footpring/placement is of 4 larger condo buildings on the north side of Na'a Drive will be, for this DP:
1644975415951.png

I've always struggled to understand who the Trinity Hills development is targeted for - it strikes me as a bit unusual development. It's a hodge-podge of ideas but at a surprisingly large and expensive scale: part big-box, sprawling strip mall highway development, part mid and higher density apartments, part auto-dependent nature reserve.

I would have guessed that total auto-dependence and being surrounded by highways immediately nearby with no schools would be a tougher sell for families, but perhaps that's not the focus - which is kind of unusual in itself, as the vast majority of surburban developments use the family-focused angle extensively in their sales pitch.

I also get the sense that this is playing off many Calgarian's desire to be "closer" to the mountains, and I guess on ski days residents here will shave a few minutes off the commute. Perhaps I am just underestimating how attractive people find that argument, enough to have substantial numbers of people buy expensive houses in this location to support a development at this scale.

Maybe the regional development economics plays a role here too - the southwest and west are relatively constrained for conventional sprawl thanks to the quirks of even richer people in Springbank effectively being able to prevent it. That could have focused pressure into the few areas left even if they would normally have been skipped or developed a much less intense scale, such as Trinity Hills (and the West District too).

Any smarter people than me have some insight on the thought process of this development?

Last edited:
Yeah I suspect that given this part of Calgary has just about maxed out it's development potential that there's a push for higher density.

But on another note, this development is really well situated in a lot of ways. Despite being separated by the Trans Canada, this development is essentially an extension of Bowness in a lot of ways. Plus it's actually a lot closer to the inner city than you might think. I betcha you could get from here to downtown in less than 10 minutes in good traffic. Plus, obviously it's a straight shot to the mountains. Also, you have really great access to SW and NW Calgary.

I guess the only real problem with the location is that your effectively living on an island. Although within the community it's fairly walkable. I'd hate to walk to Bowness from here. If they had a pedestrian overpass somewhere in the middle of the development it would be okay, but still not great.

But if you're okay driving everywhere and want great access to downtown and the mountains, it's got a lot going for it.

Back