It still drives me crazy how wide and car-centric the street design is in this neighbourhood. This was probably the best opportunity to implement a truly pedestrian-centred design with curb extensions, elevated crosswalks, narrower lanes, etc. and the City blew it.
100% agree, love how the area itself has turned out but when I bike through the main street on my uni commute, it feels uncomfortable to take the full travel lane so I end up straddling the line while trying to avoid the door zone at the same time. Really wish they had protected bike lanes instead.

100% agree, love how the area itself has turned out but when I bike through the main street on my uni commute, it feels uncomfortable to take the full travel lane so I end up straddling the line while trying to avoid the door zone at the same time. Really wish they had protected bike lanes instead.
Especially because the University, Foothills and Market Mall are close but really in that perfect bicycle distance of 1 - 2km. Walking is doable but a bit of stretch, with a big, boring and windy 500m gap of fields and parking lots between the neighbourhood and the destinations around. It's the perfect bicycle use case - if the infrastructure was included.

First pieces of panelling are up. Covered in protective film though 😕
F2AB5EA2-C8E1-4EEA-ACEB-872A76F3EE95.jpeg
6D0E1994-DEF0-4D6F-82ED-8FA8AD6DF170.jpeg

Something tells me the pace of development will speed up over the next few years. Once the bulk of the mainstreet in built out I think there will be a sort of critical mass to spur on more demand. Maybe phase 1 will actually be completed in the next few years even. There's only a handful of parcels left in the first phase.

I like what's become of U/D. My only wish is that U/D could swap places with the parcels to the north of the University, which is mostly suburban office park wasteland. Worst part is, this suburban office park sits in between the University and Brentwood LRT and its retail. If I had a billion dollars, I'd bulldoze most of it and make a version of U/D in its location

Replace this:
1673915935791.png

With something like this:
1673915969908.png

I like what's become of U/D. My only wish is that U/D could swap places with the parcels to the north of the University, which is mostly suburban office park wasteland. Worst part is, this suburban office park sits in between the University and Brentwood LRT and its retail. If I had a billion dollars, I'd bulldoze most of it and make a version of U/D in its location

Replace this:
View attachment 451012

With something like this:
View attachment 451013
That's essentially what's planned for the University Innovation Quarter:
1673917615890.png

(https://uiqcalgary.com/)

Pretty similar to the Innovation Quarter plans, the thing I would like to see is a the main artery that's more of a direct route from the university to the station, and flanked by mixed use buildings. Unfortunately the corridors in/out of the University don't align with the ones on the other side, to allow for a nice wide straight corridor. Not without moving some major buildings around and spending a ton. The plan they have is the best they can do with what they have.

Hi folks, perhaps a strange question but i'm working on a project for my civil engineering class and we are proposing re-designs for a site adjacent to University District. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any plans to deal with this absolute MESS of roads:
1675789157890.png

After doing some research I found this concept design for U/D, where they appear to connect Jackson Pl with Warren St. Was just wondering if anyone knows how realistic that might be, or if it's just a years-old concept that's since been moved on from.

Attachments

• 1675788968131.png
    1675788968131.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
I had a chance to visit University district in person for the first time in a while yesterday, and the thing that surprised me the most was how busy it was.
I’m being serious when I say that University Avenue between the hotel and save-on foods was busier than many of our downtown streets!
What’s even more encouraging is that it isn’t anywhere close to the full build out.

Back