News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

They are chipping away at the vacant space. Still the biggest problem is the massive empty space in the Class A buildings, none of which will likely ever be converted to residential.
Exactly. And also I kind a wish that some of these small buildings could stay as office buildings.
I know it’s more difficult to convert big office buildings (WCP for example) to residential but, but I’d prefer to see that rather than three or four small boutique buildings.

Another night club? Okay. I guess. I don't know exactly the types of night clubs these are, but hopefully close enough to the point where they are in direct competition with each other. That'd be cool.

Tomkins Park to the Bow. Hello! This is ripe with opportunity but that budget... 2.3-6.6 million. Also if this is becoming a complete street (limited vehicle access), I assume they're not going to close 11 St. SW to vehicle traffic? Otherwise that would mean the only way you cross the tracks is 14th or 5th.

Last edited:
Tomkins Park to the Bow. Hello! This is ripe with opportunity but that budget... 2.3-6.6 million. Also if this is becoming a complete street (limited vehicle access), I assume they're not going to close 11 St. SW to vehicle traffic? Otherwise that would mean the only way you cross the tracks is 14th or 5th.
The RFP doesn’t include construction. Only up to detailed design.

They should drop it down to 3 reversible lanes north of 17th ave along with a protected bike lane
I had a similar initial though but I don’t think it would work as well for the area south of the underpass as it would for the area north of it.

Some stretches it could be as simple as removing street parking, removing centre turning lane/median, and narrowing all lanes.

I had a similar initial though but I don’t think it would work as well for the area south of the underpass as it would for the area north of it.

Some stretches it could be as simple as removing street parking, removing centre turning lane/median, and narrowing all lanes.
three lanes with scramble intersections would handle the volume just fine. Going down to 3 lanes when the through lane can be backed up by a right turn movement waiting for a pedestrian would likely push south of the CPR into failure, with the 15000 weekday traffic volumes.

There is something seriously wrong when a plan that is only 6 years old needs to be tossed and re-done. What a waste of taxpayer dollars. 😞

They should implement a policy of not engaging in any design work unless there is a firm commitment of capital to a project.

The RFP doesn’t include construction. Only up to detailed design.
$2.3-6.6 million seems crazy for design fees only - unless there is a ton of utility relocation work involved (which I don't believe there is).

The Bowness road improvements were constructed for approx $5.3 million / km. The same budget would equate to $8 million for 8th.

They need to design something that won't piss off Mt. Royal people while also meeting 10 other needs.

The tender is:
  • to assemble and lead a multidisciplinary team in the delivery of the 8 Street SW Public Realm Improvements Project, a streetscape and riverfront park redevelopment project
That means it includes construction.

The scope is:
  • Phase 1 – Concept Design Update (Work Area A – Downtown and Work Area B – Beltline)
  • Phase 2 – Design Development (Work Area A – Downtown)
  • Phase 3 – Detailed Design (Work Area A – Downtown)
  • Future potential scope, pending funding and approvals includes:
  • Phase 4 – Construction and Contract Administration (Work Area – A – Downtown) Work Area B – Beltline (Phase 2 – Design Development, Phase 3 – Detailed Design and Phase 4 – Construction and Contract Administration)
Basically Phase 4 isn't assured, but is part of the total funding envelop, if the design is approved.

A very different way to deliver a project like this—should hopefully speed delivery up.

They need to design something that won't piss off Mt. Royal people while also meeting 10 other needs.

The tender is:
  • to assemble and lead a multidisciplinary team in the delivery of the 8 Street SW Public Realm Improvements Project, a streetscape and riverfront park redevelopment project
That means it includes construction.

The scope is:
  • Phase 1 – Concept Design Update (Work Area A – Downtown and Work Area B – Beltline)
  • Phase 2 – Design Development (Work Area A – Downtown)
  • Phase 3 – Detailed Design (Work Area A – Downtown)
  • Future potential scope, pending funding and approvals includes:
  • Phase 4 – Construction and Contract Administration (Work Area – A – Downtown) Work Area B – Beltline (Phase 2 – Design Development, Phase 3 – Detailed Design and Phase 4 – Construction and Contract Administration)
Basically Phase 4 isn't assured, but is part of the total funding envelop, if the design is approved.

A very different way to deliver a project like this—should hopefully speed delivery up.
I guess I mistook Phase 4 being a later phase as meaning it wouldn’t be part of the funding, which I suppose makes sense because the budget would be too high for Phases 1-3, but still seems light for construction of this long of a stretch.

Bowness road improvements were constructed for approx $5.3 million / km. The same budget would equate to $8 million for 8th.
Going by this budget at the 6.6 ceiling we're set to get a design and some minor changes. Its a little over a km from 17th to the river path, that just doesn't seem like enough but maybe to get to Bowness level of improvements it is?

Going by this budget at the 6.6 ceiling we're set to get a design and some minor changes. Its a little over a km from 17th to the river path, that just doesn't seem like enough but maybe to get to Bowness level of improvements it is?
Bowness had at least some subsurface work. I assume (perhaps wrongly) that 8th has had more love over the years than Bowness.

Back